getting rid of cat smells

I just bought a mobile home in which the woman had what smells to be 800 cats. i am ripping out the carpet and of course scrubbing every surface possible. What ,other than Kilz, is an option to insure the smells dont linger? I am also going to have to treat my bedroom floor as the plywood under the carpet has been soaked as well. Any ideas?

-------------------------------------

Reply to
quapawgirl

Move in 800 dogs for a while? :-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

You should NOT have bought it.

Reply to
LSMFT

Mop the floors at least twice with plain water. Do not use bleach. The urea in the floor may react with bleach to form the same gas they formerly used in the gas chambers.

Mop the floors using a product called odor ban about 10 bucks a gallon at Sams Club.

Allow the floors to completely dry. You may have success at this point.

If you still smell it paint the floors with Bins, the shellac based version, $25 a gallon and worth every penny of it. Kiltz is crap and won't do the job. The Bins will do the job.

Reply to
Colbyt

I just bought a mobile home in which the woman had what smells to be 800 cats. i am ripping out the carpet and of course scrubbing every surface possible. What ,other than Kilz, is an option to insure the smells dont linger? I am also going to have to treat my bedroom floor as the plywood under the carpet has been soaked as well. Any ideas?

-------------------------------------

It can certainly seem like that, even if it was only one animal.

When my father bought his property several years ago, he had to get rid of the Damn Dog reek. Of course the urine-soaked carpet was the first thing to go. The concrete flooring in the hall was scrubbed to death with whatever touted remedy on the market, then "sealed." (hah.) He refinished any wood flooring also, even though it was not so nearly affected. Installed vinyl over the concrete part. Even then still it took two full years before that damned smell was completely gone.

I am.. sorry to say none of my menfolk ever had experience with trailers, however I do say this with confidence: Do your damnedest, but above all, have patience. It *will* subside.

Eventually.

Reply to
Nelly

quapawgirl wrote the following:

Gasoline and a match.

Reply to
willshak

It's the only guaranteed method.

Reply to
LSMFT

Worse case scenario, you have to rip out the floor plywood and all the wall coverings (drywall, paneling, etc.) 4 foot up all the walls. Treat with an enzymatic odor removers and then replace.

Reply to
Cliff Hartle

Y'all beat me to it. Basically, you have to treat it like a fire cleanup- kilz or urethane to encapsulate everything you can, run an ozone generator for a week, and live knowing that every time the humidity spikes in warm weather, some of the scent will be back.

Not that I would ever buy a mobile- I'd rather live in a beehive apartment in town- but one that smelled like cats would be an instant walkaway for me when shopping.

Reply to
aemeijers

I have up close and personal experience with urine odor, its inconvenient but can be completely mitigated:)

First remove everything soft like carpet pad sofa etc. Just discard all of it its not worth messing with.

Scrub down everything! with your favorite detergent, it wouldnt get rid of the smell:( but it will help with what comes next:) DRY THOROUGHLY!! Primer and outdoor poly stick better to clean surfaces:)

SEAL FLOORS with OUTDOOR POLYURETHANE, give everything at least 2 coats. You can use this on paneled wall too. Then prime all painted surfaces with bin or kilz OIL BASE PRIMER, 2 coats then paint everything normally.

The key is outdoor polyurethane so moist weather doesnt soften sealed surfacesand bring the odor back!

This is what fire restoration companies do and it WORKS. You can use outdoor polyurethane on concrete floors too

I flipped a urine soaked home. IT STANKED>

When I was done the odor never reappeared:) the buyer had a clause in the sales agreement that I was on the hook for future odor troubles. they had no troubles.

I applaude you for buyinmg a home you can afford! Too many americans bought way too expensive homes and helped crash our economy:(

Reply to
bob haller

ksfoodjunkie_at_yahoo_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (quapawgirl) wrote in news:82b5b$4da34b3e$45499b77$ snipped-for-privacy@news.flashnewsgroups.com:

Hire a company that removes bad smells. Seen them advertised for removing fire and smoke smells. It may be worth it for the first time cleaning.

Reply to
RobertPatrick

Go visit the pet store. They will have stuff. I had apartments for a while. Don't remember the name, but it got the cat smell out of carpet.

Reply to
mike

Somehow I don't think that is in OP's budget, given what she purchased....

Reply to
aemeijers

be advised, the kilz works just fine if you use the original oil based product. polyurethane works better if you're just sealing wood to cover with something else.

Reply to
Steve Barker

I could have gotten one of those Affirmative Action Loans but chose not to. I knew if anything happened to me there was no backup and sure enough, I got injured and became very ill and lost a lot of everything. At least I didn't own a house to lose. :-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

That wont work, no one can afford the gasoline anymore !!!!

Reply to
jw

Find a big fat woman opera singer. It's almost guaranteed she'll have so much of that "old lady" perfume on herself that she'll cover the odor. Just let her live there, but tell her she MUST buy her own food, because you wont be able to afford the food for her to stay fat.

If her opera singing bothers you, duct tape works well over the mouth. If all else fails, put carpeting on top of her and staple it down well.

Reply to
jw

the odor was unreal bad. my wiffe thought me insane. after that me and wife looked at a home in florida, the day of the columbia disaster........

she wanted a fancy new home, ME I liked the older cheaper home in a rural area, with mature trees. Its price was cheap it smelled terrible from cats.

I told the realtor the odor isnt a problem , what you do is..... my hot to mitigate odor troubles.

she said obviously you have done this before.........

me and wife couldnt agree to anything so we did nothing.......

I think of this opportunity every winter when its snowing bad.....

I HATE WINTER!

Reply to
bob haller

Ozone generator. Used by smoke remediation folks and those who need to remove the smells of dead things and very dead things.

Don't get a piddly-assed one - get one that produces several thousand millgrams of Ozone per hour (3,000 is a respectable number).

Ozone will kill smells, bacteria, viruses, mold, mildew, pets, humans, and toads given sufficient concentration. A one-hour treatment of an average-sized room should be sufficient.

Maybe you can even rent one?

Reply to
HeyBub

I rented an apt with dog urine stench from a former 2-dog occupant that was unbearable in the Summer. The landlord replaced the entire front room carpet and that was enough, despite the stains on the underlying plywood.

Later, a friend's dog dumped a 2 ft dia pool of runny dog shit on the new carpet. I was furious! Fortunately, organic odor removers are readily available at any pet store (pricey). It literally eats the stink over 48 hrs and worked brilliantly, eliminating all smell and stain. I was amazed. I have no experience on how these deodorizers would work on old stains.

Between the two options, hope this helps.

nb

Reply to
notbob