getting insulation for self install

I plan on getting a roll of insulation at a time and start insulating my garage.
Why a roll at a time?, i'm broke :) actually i have a lot of othert things to do and a real tight budget so my plan is to buy a bag of mortar, a roll of insulation, and maybe a couple of other things every weekend and install them. mortar for fixing up the feildstone basement thats been neglected, and insulation for the garage and maybe parts of the basement as needed, other things for same reasons.
anyway, what to buy? garage looks like it has 18" rafters and stud walls. roof currently leaks when it rains (hence the other stuff)
I am thinking of fiberglass insluation, but can be swayed by good advice(note: my car can't carry 4x8 sheet of anything)
get a home improvement loan and rent a trailer to bring roofing materials first.
Tater wrote:

Forget about insulation until the leak(s) are permanently, positively fixed.

The roof leaking, is a bigger problem, or meaning it will cause damgage. Get that fixed first, imho.
later,
tom @ www.FindMeShelter.com
fix roof FIRST!!
get a pros free estimate to help decide what you need. is your garage attached to home?

Yeah. It's annoying enough to work with dry fiberglass insulation. Wet is a real thrill.

Ignore all other maintenance problems until you get the leaking roof under control. You can't afford to divert the resources to other projects just to feel like you're doing something.
I WILL BE FIXING THE ROOF FIRST!!!!
geez people!
now, can someone tell me what I should look for in the insulation that will be bought A FEW MONTHS FROM NOW, LONG AFTER THE ROOF IS FIXED???
geez ask a question and have someone point out the obvious that was already stated
Tater wrote:

Sure. Fiberglass rolls for the garage. Get 18" wide 3-1/2" thick to fit between the studs (assume the studs are 2x4s). Get 18" by 6" thick for the rafters as a minimum (don't know your climate). Price the differential for paper backed, foil backed and no backing, plus 4 mil plastic for moisture barrier if you buy fiberglass with no backing.
Your plan is a good one, a little bit at a time as time and money affords. Do the absolute essential first, the ones that save money next (like insulation upgrade of failing heater, leaking faucets, etc.), and the frills after that.
On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 03:39:11 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"

Start by buying a roof rack for your car.
Yes, I agree, you need a good sturdy set of roof racks and some ropes. I hauled building materials for years on the roof of my car. Once I had 300 pounds of 20 foot long re-bars tied on the roof and anchored down to the car chassis. The key the carrying on the roof is to tie down real good and only depend on the racks to support the materials. The ropes should tie the materials together to the racks and to the front and rear chassis, where ever you can find an anchor. Do not drive on the freeway, and accelerate and brake smoothly while predicting the traffic up ahead. Weak materials may need some additional support to prevent the wind from ripping it off.
It is very doable and saves delivery charges while still allowing you to select the materials that you buy.