getting above ground pool back in shape

We have an above ground pool that has been unused for 3 years. It is not in good shape. We drained out all of the water except for about 3 inches. We had the pool guy come look at it to give an estimate to clean it up and get it back in shape. Before he came he estimated $45-50 (which I thought was low). He came and said for us to first put water back in the pool. Now he wants to charge us $200 to pump out that water! Does this make sense?

Reply to
Jud McCranie

of course not. If it is a surprise to you then either his communciation skills are piss poor or he is out to scam you. Either way will cost you unexpected money.

Mostly likely, he charges by the hour and that includes sitting around for the pool to drain. If you keep him, find out exactly what you are to do, what he will do, and get the total in writing.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Best suggestion: If you have a Harbor Freight close by; check item #98342-1VGA. It is a small sump pump that will do the job for $40.00! Plus should you need to drain the pool again foe any reason you have the pump on hand. It is fairly slow as opposed to the "trash pump" that the pool "guy" would use, but what is the hurry vs. hiring someone to do it at the $200.00 ( which isn't too unreasonable). I have had one of these pumps for over 5 years and is still pumping when I need it Look at Harbor Freight .com ( item # 98342-1VGA)

Bill

Reply to
Bill Hall

If you are in no particular hurry, siphon it out with a hose The real question is why he wants it pumped out and why he had you fill it in the first place. I think I would still be shopping for pool guys before I wasted thousands of gallons of water..

Reply to
gfretwell

We siphoned it out the first time. We had already done that before I called them because it seemed like the thing to do. I called them and they sent a guy out who was supposed to tell me about it and give me an estimate (I had gotten the first one on the phone). He looked at it and called someone on his cell phone for a long time. Then he asked if we had anything to shock it. (no.) He said to fill it back up. After that was done I called them back. They were to come out Friday morning, but they didn't. I was gone Friday afternoon and there was a phone message saying that they had been out and now it was $200 to pump it out and then they would "go from there".

Reply to
Jud McCranie

What does "not in good shape" actually mean?

We drained out all of the water except for about 3

I drained my pool using a submersible pump from Harbor Freight. I think it cost about $50 on sale. It took two days, but I have very deep pool, built back in the days when diving boards were the norm.

Remember that you have to drain the pool into a drain that goes into the sewer, you can't drain it into a storm drain out on the street.

Reply to
SMS

What is he supposed to be fixing. Do you have a leak?

Reply to
gfretwell

Those are "worry words" for me. Is "go from there" meaning the wallet?

1) If not leaking - have the water tested (within one hour at a pool shop/supply). 2) Cleaning filters, etc, etc. Run the pump for clearing up the water (if cloudy). 0.a) Fire the pool guy.
Reply to
Oren

No, it is not leaking. It hasn't been used for three years so it is pretty nasty. The water is full of algae. There are a lot of leaves, etc in it and stains on the liner. The idea was to get it cleaned up and back in shape to use.

Reply to
Jud McCranie

The water is very dirty, leaves and other trash in the pool, stains on the liner.

We are out of the city and don't have a sewer.

Reply to
Jud McCranie

Do what I did. Cut down 5 trees, remove 35 box plants (shed leaves), and several other plants. All away from the pool. No more leaves to speak of, but a "few".

Some people I talk to cannot figure it out.

I even told the neighbor I would cut his tree branches, because they were in my way..

Reply to
Oren

Not much to it really. Drain it, clean it out, scrub the liner best you can and fill it back up. Make sure your pump still works and clean out your filter.

The pool store can check your water for you and sell you whatever chemicals you need to get the chemistry right again.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B.

He said that they would scrub the walls down while the water is being pumped out. Is there any reason why scrubbing the walls has to be done then?

Reply to
Jud McCranie