Gas vs electric heat

HVAC south of Canada tends to leave out the V part.

Homes recently built in Canada are indeed so tight that controlled ventilation is needed, almost required, for health of people and pets.

A thoughtful home buyer south of Canada with the funds to make it happen can get her/himself a home built that has the same issues with ventilation that our neighbors to the north have. That is, we must PLAN for the introduction of fresh air to replace the air we exhaust when we

  1. Turn on a Bathroom light/exhaust
  2. Turn on a gas/oil furnace
  3. Turn on a gas water heater
  4. Operate a clothes dryer
  5. Operate a range hood

And we want to maintain a positive pressure inside so that when we open a door, outside air is pushed away from the opening, at least briefly, so that pollen/dust/mold spores stay outside.

Reply to
Robert Gammon

If your house is that well sealed I hate to think about your indoor air quality (out gassing of the carpet, furniture, etc.) I likely live North of you (North of most Canucks, anyway) and my house gets incredibly dry in the Winter.

Not around here!

Reply to
krw

Thanks for all the comments...I visited a fireplace store and found the perfect direct vent gas heaters. They have an antique look that I was interested in maintaining, and if they work out, I'll get similar units for the rest of the building.

Karen

Reply to
operabufa

Care to pass along the brand? I also might be interested...

Doug

Reply to
Doug

I bought Lopi's Sweet Dreams model. After I chose it, the dealer said it was his best selling model.

Here's the product info:

I currently have two Moores, a Seigler, and an Empire. The Moores are probably 50 years old and I've never had a problem with them. The Seigler is about 25 years old - the fan broke a few years back, but I never had it fixed since I didn't care much for it. The Empire is my least favorite - it's ugly and the body doesn't retain heat like the others.

Karen

Reply to
operabufa