Gas vs electric heat

Page 2 of 2

lets not forget chaning the OP home to electric heat will REQUIRE a MAJOR service upgrade new entrance cabel, new breaker boxes / main costing thousands.......
plus all electric homes are recommended to be totally insulated, thats always a good idea, but essential with electric heat.
i recommend you remodel the top unit first, and live with the disruption, then move upstairs while the lower floors are redone,
whats the budget for this job?
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

While you're considering options, I'd also consider how you would handle future air conditioning. While it may not be high on your priority list in Chicago, for resale, I'd much rather have a system/plan that was easy to work AC into. For example, if two systems cost close in price, but one could easily support AC, while the other would not, that would be a big plus.
For fuel, my guess is that gas is going to probably be the best choice. In my experience, it's about the same fuel cost as gas, but more reliable, requiring less service calls, and avoiding issues of oil tanks, leaks, contamination, etc.
Thanks for all the comments...I visited a fireplace store and found the perfect direct vent gas heaters. They have an antique look that I was interested in maintaining, and if they work out, I'll get similar units for the rest of the building.
Karen
On 25 Nov 2006 14:35:35 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Care to pass along the brand? I also might be interested...
Doug

I bought Lopi's Sweet Dreams model. After I chose it, the dealer said it was his best selling model.
Here's the product info:
http://www.lopistoves.com/product.asp?dept_id=8&sku 7
I currently have two Moores, a Seigler, and an Empire. The Moores are probably 50 years old and I've never had a problem with them. The Seigler is about 25 years old - the fan broke a few years back, but I never had it fixed since I didn't care much for it. The Empire is my least favorite - it's ugly and the body doesn't retain heat like the others.
Karen