Gas powered lawn trimmers?

I'm hoping to buy a four stroke gas powered lawn trimmer "weed eater".
Are they mostly variable speed? In other words... Do they include a speed control lever, or is it just an on/off switch?
Thanks.
John Doe wrote:

Hi, Yes. Usually trigger on the handle.

I thought they were almost all 2-cycle engines
"hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net" <hrhofmann att.net> wrote:

Mostly, but not all.
The question is whether they are mostly variable speed.
<hrhofmann att.net> wrote:

My Honda 4 stroke has a throttle on the shaft handle along with the on-off switch.
On Wed, 1 Aug 2012 13:38:51 +0000 (UTC), John Doe

Well I don't know about mostly but the ones I see around my home by the pros are variable speed.
On Wed, 1 Aug 2012 06:36:24 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net"

I have a 4-cycle Troy Bilt trimmer with interchangeable heads (edger, blower, etc.). Not the best brand but it works quite well. It has a (variable) throttle trigger but I always use it full bore. Not sure why you'd want to slow a string trimmer down.
"krw att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" <krw att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz> wrote:

Because I'm planning to use it for something other than yard care.

Sounds like a Darwin moment in the making. ;-)
John Doe wrote:

Hi, Yes. Trigger on the hnadle.
On 8/1/2012 8:38 AM, John Doe wrote:

Mostly 2 cycle, but there are 4 cycle unit out there. I bought a Ryobi (don't know who actually made it) unit on wheels. It was only $100 (refurb) but is a great unit. It has a 4 cycle engine and a throttle/clutch on the handle. When you squeeze a little the string head starts to turn. Squeeze more, and it revs up the engine. Very quiet compared to my 2 cycle, hand held Homelite.
Art Todesco <actodesco yahoo.com> wrote:

Yeah, quiet (or less noisy) is very important.
--
Thanks to the replies.