Gas oven problem?

I have 20yr. old Tappan natural gas stove,the oven takes a long time to ignite,the glow bar works,but the gas valve doesn't seem to open,I sometimes tap it with long object and once in a while it will ignite.So I'm thinking it's either the glow bar is not getting warm enough or the valve is bad.I would appreciate any suggestions.Thanks

I'd bet its the gas valve. If the igniter was not hot enough, the valve would not work even after a tap. It could be a weak magnet or sticking inside.
You may get more help at www.applianceaid.com www.repairclinic.com

Hi,
Model#?
Make sure the HSI is drawing enough amps to open the gas valve... http://www.applianceaid.com/gas.html#glow
http://www.applianceaid.com/images/hot-surface-ignsheet.jpg

Normally, don't tap the gas valve!...you can break it.
got to work on one of th ese a couple weeks ago. Friend of mine from church, the oven wouldn't light. The HSI was slightly cracked. And so the current draw was low.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

sometimes