gas oil mixture ratios

I have a Ryobi weedeater that take a 32:1 mixture ratio. I just got a Poulan blower that takes 40:1.
I am trying to avoid keeping two different mixtures and gas cans. Can I compromise between the two and do 36:1.
Anyone got any suggestions or other ideas?
Thanks, Tim C.

I'd compromise on 32:1 to be safe. Look into synthetic oils also. Some allow for a much leaner ratio. My Stihl saw is 32:1 for regular oil, but 50:1 for their synthetic.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Ditto. At 36:1 Ryobi will not be happy. Tony
As Ed P said, but motors are motors no magic here to warrant leaner mixes. 32-1 lubricates, leaner ratios are more an apeasement of Ca pollution rules as 2 strokes are being faised out in many areas. Your Poulan may not run as well needing carb adjustment. For longest life use synthetic at 32-1 for everything.
Another thing to remember is that if you are using a one gallon can to mix and store the fuel, make sure it is empty each time you refill it. Years ago, we had a boat that took a 24:1 mix. It had 6 gallon tanks, and my Dad would run about 4 gallons out of it, then dump in a qt. of oil and top it off with gas. After doing this enough times, we ended up with about 10:1 mix. Larry
Of course, you can always nearly fillt he gascan. Look at the pump, and add the right ammt of oil for the volume of fuel showing at the pump.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

That works for large values of 10 :-)
If he started with 24:1, the initial 6 gallons of mix would have contained 6/24 = 0.25 gallons of oil with a 6/0.25 = 24:1 ratio.
After removing 4 gallons of mix, there is 2/6(0.25) = 0.083 g of oil in the tank. After adding a quart, we have 0.33 gal of oil, with a 6/0.33 = 18:1 ratio...
10 OIL=.25 20 FOR I = 1 TO 10 30 RATIO=6/OIL 40 PRINT I,OIL,RATIO 50 OIL=1/3*OIL 60 OIL=OIL+1/4 70 NEXT I
fill oil in gas/oil # tank (g) ratio
1 .25 24 2 .3333334 18 3 .3611111 16.61539 4 .3703704 16.2 5 .3734568 16.06612 6 .3744856 16.02198 7 .3748286 16.00732 8 .3749429 16.00244 9 .374981 16.00081 10 .3749937 16.00027
Nick
Actualy much better to be rich on the oil and not burn up the motor. You can always buy a hotter plug to keep it clean
Paul Oman wrote: ...

Better for the repair guy, too, no doubt... :)
I'd recommend never going below manufacturer's recommendation...they fix the lube ratio for a reason.
A lean mix (less oil) risks siezing up the motor. A rich mix (too much oil) fouls spark plugs.
Me, I'd rather run rich.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

I had a repair guy tell me to pretty much use 32:1 or something close for everything. Better to be a bit light on the oil instead of too much oil which seriously fouls everything up. (light would be a bigger first #). probably 3-3.5 oz of oil per gallon of gas (that's about 35-40:1)
--

"Living on Earth is expensive, but it does include
a free trip around the Sun every year."
On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 13:53:46 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (m Ransley) wrote:

Too rich will cause the engine to run at the wrong temp. That will greatly shorten the time between rebuilds. Too rich is no better for the engine than too lean. In either direction, it's a mater of degree. For best and most economical use, follow the manufacturers directions.
rusty
On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 17:43:08 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (m Ransley) wrote:

Yes, too rich will make an engine run cooler. That is BAD for the engine. Your puny toy RC engines are not germaine to the discussion.
rusty
On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 19:12:40 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (m Ransley) wrote:

You, sir, are a babbling idiot.
Neal