gas oil mixture ratios

I have a Ryobi weedeater that take a 32:1 mixture ratio. I just got a Poulan blower that takes 40:1.

I am trying to avoid keeping two different mixtures and gas cans. Can I compromise between the two and do 36:1.

Anyone got any suggestions or other ideas?

Thanks, Tim C.

Reply to
Tim C.

I'd compromise on 32:1 to be safe. Look into synthetic oils also. Some allow for a much leaner ratio. My Stihl saw is 32:1 for regular oil, but

50:1 for their synthetic.
Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Hi, Ditto. At 36:1 Ryobi will not be happy. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

As Ed P said, but motors are motors no magic here to warrant leaner mixes. 32-1 lubricates, leaner ratios are more an apeasement of Ca pollution rules as 2 strokes are being faised out in many areas. Your Poulan may not run as well needing carb adjustment. For longest life use synthetic at 32-1 for everything.

Reply to
m Ransley

Another thing to remember is that if you are using a one gallon can to mix and store the fuel, make sure it is empty each time you refill it. Years ago, we had a boat that took a 24:1 mix. It had 6 gallon tanks, and my Dad would run about 4 gallons out of it, then dump in a qt. of oil and top it off with gas. After doing this enough times, we ended up with about 10:1 mix. Larry

Reply to
lp13-30

The smaller number 32:1 is more oil.

More oil will not hurt a two stroke engine. (aside from possibly fouling the spark plug sooner). Less oil might fail to lubricate, and sieze up the engine.

My suggestion is to run 32:1 in both engines. Four ounces of oil per galon of gasoline.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That works for large values of 10 :-)

If he started with 24:1, the initial 6 gallons of mix would have contained 6/24 = 0.25 gallons of oil with a 6/0.25 = 24:1 ratio.

After removing 4 gallons of mix, there is 2/6(0.25) = 0.083 g of oil in the tank. After adding a quart, we have 0.33 gal of oil, with a 6/0.33 = 18:1 ratio...

10 OIL=.25 20 FOR I = 1 TO 10 30 RATIO=6/OIL 40 PRINT I,OIL,RATIO 50 OIL=1/3*OIL 60 OIL=OIL+1/4 70 NEXT I

fill oil in gas/oil # tank (g) ratio

1 .25 24 2 .3333334 18 3 .3611111 16.61539 4 .3703704 16.2 5 .3734568 16.06612 6 .3744856 16.02198 7 .3748286 16.00732 8 .3749429 16.00244 9 .374981 16.00081 10 .3749937 16.00027

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

Actualy much better to be rich on the oil and not burn up the motor. You can always buy a hotter plug to keep it clean

Reply to
m Ransley

Paul Oman wrote: ...

Better for the repair guy, too, no doubt... :)

I'd recommend never going below manufacturer's recommendation...they fix the lube ratio for a reason.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Red , to Rich and it runs cooler less oxygen, lean is hotter more oxygen, running richer gives more lubrication and cooler temps. Get your self a 15$ infrared thermometer at Radio shack and see. RC motors are my hobby, to lean will melt the motor....If you foul use a hotter range plug usualy an order item. All plugs are temp rated.

Reply to
m Ransley

A 2 stroke is a 2 stroke size is irrelevant Running cooler will not hurt a 2 stroke or decrease its life it will increase it due to more lubrication from more oil. This is relevant to oil gas mix, more oil = longer life. I can even site where Evinrude upped the oil amount in their recommended mix years ago after major early failures. Failures brought on by their attempted EPA appeasement to lower pollution. This EPA appeasement has led to many manufacturers lowering oil ratios for CA EPA requirements, and we all pay with less engine life. You want it to last, use synthetic at 32-1 or even a greater oil mix, plug fouls, get a hotter plug. Did you notice Lawn Boy has no more 2 strokes. Why, the EPA.

Reply to
m Ransley

I had a repair guy tell me to pretty much use 32:1 or something close for everything. Better to be a bit light on the oil instead of too much oil which seriously fouls everything up. (light would be a bigger first #). probably

3-3.5 oz of oil per gallon of gas (that's about 35-40:1)
Reply to
Paul Oman

Too rich will cause the engine to run at the wrong temp. That will greatly shorten the time between rebuilds. Too rich is no better for the engine than too lean. In either direction, it's a mater of degree. For best and most economical use, follow the manufacturers directions.

rusty

Reply to
Red Cloud©

Yes, too rich will make an engine run cooler. That is BAD for the engine. Your puny toy RC engines are not germaine to the discussion.

rusty

Reply to
Capt. Neal©

You, sir, are a babbling idiot.

Neal

Reply to
Capt. Neal©

Of course, you can always nearly fillt he gascan. Look at the pump, and add the right ammt of oil for the volume of fuel showing at the pump.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

A lean mix (less oil) risks siezing up the motor. A rich mix (too much oil) fouls spark plugs.

Me, I'd rather run rich.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon