gas-oil mix

Page 1 of 2
My new Tanaka weed whip instruction manual calls for a gas oil mixture of between 25:1 and 50:1. That seems kind of vague to me. My Echo leaf blower calls for 40:1 and my Poulan chainsaw calls for 50:1. Running my Poulan on a 40:1 seems to work fine, and I am planning on running the Tanaka with a mix of 40:1. Is it super critical to stick with the recommended mix for each piece of equipment ?
thanks CJ

I often run an engine that calls for 50:1 at 40:1 because the 40:1 covers several engines that I have. However, I wouldn't go more than the 40:1 in the 50:1 as it might cause plug fouling.
It seems like most newer 2-cycles are now designed for 50:1.

I agree. If you have some eqpt that calls for 40 and some for 50, I wouldn't have two seperate mixes. I'd split the diff and go with 45.
I'd run the both on the richer mix, the 40:1. Worst case, fouled plug and some carbon in the muffler. If you run too lean, the risk is engine damage, and loss of warranty.
In regards the OP, they usually aren't fussy. I'd run the richest mix in all the machines. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
I agree. If you have some eqpt that calls for 40 and some for 50, I wouldn't have two seperate mixes. I'd split the diff and go with 45.
On Sun, 02 Jun 2013 10:23:26 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

That's what I do.
I save the original 2+ounce 40:1 oil containers that came with the unit, and then I buy the replacement two-stroke oil in standard quart sizes.
Then I refill the 40:1 containers, so that I always have a convenient mixing procedure when I need more two-stroke gas.
On Sun, 02 Jun 2013 15:12:16 +0000, Danny D wrote:

Here's a picture of my shelf with those containers:

I also save (and label) the original four-stroke containers so that I can easily refill the four-stroke equipment with the correct amounts.

How about a picture showing us you pulling your head out of your butt?
On Sun, 02 Jun 2013 15:47:31 +0000, JoeBro wrote:

On Sun, 02 Jun 2013 15:39:31 +0000, Danny D wrote:

BTW, I usually buy a TC-W3 NMMA-certified two-stroke oil: http://www.nmma.org/certification/certification/oil/tc-w3.aspx
Is that the quality metric that you more experienced guys aim for?

engines it must also meet the TM designation (some do,

TC-W3 oil is for water cooled (marine) engines. SOME TC-W# also meets TM specifications, which means it is good for aircooled engines, such as motorcycles and small powered equipment. Straight TC rated oil is specified for most air cooled equipment. Non TM TC-W3 is NOT designed to run at the higher temperatures generally experienced with things like chainsaws and weed-eaters etc.
On Sun, 02 Jun 2013 13:18:40 -0400, clare wrote:

Apparently none of the two-stroke oils I had meet TM specifications.
There's only mention of "FD" & "TC-WIII":

Lesson learned: - Buy only TM-rated TC-W# motor oil at the autoparts store.
Danny D wrote:

I always used 2 cycle marine engine oil and never had problem.

It is not critical in most applications, but an oil designed and certified for use in a water-cooled outboard motor is not the opitmal choice for lightweight air-cooled engines such as those found in weed wackers and chain saws.

Larry W. - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf. lonestar.org

Can't beat a MixMizer. Makes it wasy to ACCURATELY mix even 1 quart, or 1 liter at a time.
On Sun, 02 Jun 2013 13:08:05 -0400, clare wrote:

I had to google what a MixMizer was:
http://griffiths.co.nz/news/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/MixMizer.jpg
Looks like it's part of a well-equipped shop: http://www.grosbeakrc.ca/workshop/workshop.html
Still, the MixMizer seems to be simply a syringe, which, I guess can be replaced with a standard small'ish measuring cup, right?

pint mixes - from 20:1 to 100:1 so you don't need to do any calculating.
I'm puzzled by your terminology. "Richer" means more gas, doesn't it? A 50:1 mix has more gas than a 40:1 mix. The 40:1 mix has more oil and less gas. I use 32:1 in everything. Don't observe fouled plugs or other problems.
Dave M.
On Sun, 02 Jun 2013 12:24:04 -0400, David L. Martel wrote:

I think SM meant richer in oil (i.e., more oil, less gas).
On Sun, 2 Jun 2013 12:24:04 -0400, "David L. Martel"

mixture to be heavier on oil. Adding the denser to the less dense - like fuel/air - or adding the lesser to the greater - where rich/lean would switch when you pass 50%