Gas boiler

My Burnham gas boiler is 30 years old. Does it make sense to replace it now or wait til the thing craps out. I know the new boilers are more efficient but not sure if it makes sense dollar wise to change it out. Thanks Jim

You have to run your numbers on gas and cost, a new unit could save 15-17% on Ng
You might find it's not really worth it. Weil McLain steam boilers are only in 80% efficiency. My 1984 or so is about the same . Would take quite a while to pay off in savings. I will be waiting until my boiler dies and cannot be repaired until I replace it

Jim Mac wrote:

that figure and compare it to new boilers and see how many hears it would take to recover the replacement costs.
--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 :) 7/8

The service man cannot check the efficency of the unit, only burner efficency. Most old designs are 80% any way.
I'd leave it go for a couple more years. Put $500 in the bank every year, until then.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus