Garage Framing Question

Page 2 of 2

"Steve Barker DLT" wrote in message

Funny thing on Japan construction. Most rooms also had an outlet in the ceiling, usually by the walls. Also the ceiling lights were a funny looking 'plug and twist' sort that were provided by the tenant so no lights anyplace til you got your own.

Ah, I see. I was a little confused too. Layman's terms is this is where you get the one outlet per wall idea (obviously in a larger room, you end up with 2).
I know what I'd 'want' in a garage conversion, is an outlet every 3-4 feet or so so I could have lots of options in decorating without ever having to mess with extension cords.
That's what the 12' rule is supposed to accomplish. That way, a lamp or what not is never more than 6' from an outlet. Lamps come with a 6' cord. 4' apart would be quite the overkill.

"Steve Barker DLT" wrote

True, but we now have more 'stuff' to plug in. Say he wants the entertainment room we have with PS2, TV, Gamecube, and a spare plug for charging the DS2 kids thingie. You need all pretty close to the same spot. He (or any of us) could pick a spot and put the extra outlet there, but in time it may change on where he wants it as SWMBO decides to move furniture!
So, I'd 'dream' of lots of outlets. Required? no. Easy to do now? yes.
Oh and if he doesnt have a good one for Xmas lights outside at the front of the house, this is the time to add it as he pulls off the garage door and makes a wall there.

Back to the original question of 1/3 or 2x3 - At 11ft height, either of them would result in a 'bouncy' wall. Needs at least a 2x4 for a 1 plane wall. If 2x3 a block between it and the existing framing at abpit 1/2 span would be needed for a firm feel.
I aslo vote fore the 'shelf' approach.
Harry K
wrldruler wrote:

Your choice. As noted before, though, you're going to want to have insulation over that block wall section, too, or it's going to be a real sink in the winter. You can save some thickness there w/ the foam over fiberglass, of course, but there's still going to be room for an outlet box. The other way is, of course, to place them in the block if the wall isn't fill-poured.

It'll require fire egress and probably two exits -- one to the house _may_ count, but as somebody else noted, the correct way to find out is to ask local building code folks.
"dpb" wrote

His climate is like mine, just a little colder. If the blocks are thick ones, they are self insulating to a degree. Something over them to make them look nicer would be good though. Painted cinderblock is never that nice looking.

True, but he's apt to find that like here, an attached garage had the same egress rules as any other room. 2 exits. The difference is the garage door constituted the other one.
If you'd like a nice laugh, my house is a case in point for this. Bathrooms as normal have a write off for a smaller window you couldnt egress from. Everything else, including my laundry room has 2. In bedrooms, the second is the window except the smaller 3rd bedroom. No window but before a porch addition, exterior door to back yard was there.
Sometime around 20 years ago, the back of the house was extended with a huge 'all the way across the back except the garage' screened porch. Roof extended at a milder slope. At this point, egress was one patio door from kitchen (which also has door to garage and is mostly open to the livingroom), window at 2nd bedroom to porch, and exterior 3rd beroom door to porch. About 15 years ago, a portion of that porch was closed off to make a 'sunroom' but with plexiglass windows that couldnt open. It was single egress and the local rules made them cut another doorway (silly guy used an interior door) to the remaining screened porch. This made it legal but just barely as the room was classed as 'enclosed porch' so door requirements are not very tight (he could have put up a screen door and been legal as long as the existing 'outside door' remained on the 3rd bedroom.
I've since put a proper door on the sunroom to the porch and redone the sunroom completely with a patio door and window walls to the floor all around the exterior 2 walls.
He also when adding the laundry room extension from the garage to the porch, added no door at the garage side and an interior door at the screened porch side (opposite the sunroom). The kitchen has an exterior door to the garage as it used to be a carport (closed up properly appx 25-30 years ago). Havent bothered to replace that 'hollow core interior one' off the laundry room to the screened porch or put one in on the garage side.
You can tell the garage was a patio, by the high in the wall 'whole house' wall AC unit 220 plug up in the ceiling of the livingroom over the bar, and the square plastered hole in the wooded walls (which we painted dark brown and centered a large picture in so it looks like it was meant to be a display case). It would have dripped to the carport floor.
cshenk wrote:

The operative words here are "to a degree". In a period of ever-rising fuel prices when doing new work that is directly open, there's absolutely no reason to scrimp on insulation for the pittance of effort or $$ to be saved on initial cost compared to the longterm fuel savings and added comfort. That uninsulated block wall will be a sore point forever if let go...that it's yet colder than yours only amplifies the point.
"wrldruler" wrote

Extra insulation in the drywall part will pay for itself. The block portion, I think wont be very notable in your winters (not far from mine).

I'd put them just above the ledge or even flush in the ledge if no liquid can get spilled in them. IE: Tell the kids not to sit sodas on the ledge <g>.

No, 2 egresses are sufficient for any codes I have seen. In fact, a large window can count for egress if openable.
You are north enough you need to get good insulating double paned windows and an insulating sort of patio door. If you also add 1 window (need not be huge) on the outer wall, it will provide a fine 'draft' for cooling when the weather is clement.
Like my climate, you can use just fans a good part of spring and summer if you have the right airflow and ceiling fans (you'd want 2 in a room that size).
wrldruler wrote:

Hi, R13 insulation? Where do you live?
"Tony Hwang" wrote

Coastal Maryland, sounded like nearish Baltimore or possibly more inland towards Wilmington. Very close to my Norfolk area climate.
He'd do better with more insulation, but he's not the real cold areas. More like heat in summer would be his issue I suspect. Same fix though. I'm just a little warmer here by usually some 5 degrees? About 200 miles south of him it sounded like.
Example of our weather here in Norfolk: We got snow flurries that didnt stick, 3 times last winter. I've been away for a few years but before in the 6 years here, we had sticking snow every other year and only one snowstorm of real note (about 10 inches stuck). He gets sticking snow most years as that nominal 5 degrees colder is just where it hits.
Thats why I'm sure his cinderblock portion can just be covered with something pretty if he wants. It obviously wont 'hurt' to insulate it, but not as needed as those in colder climates are thinking. Some of that foam board then cover it with something pretty would do nicely for his needs. Now if he were in Vermont or Chiago or something, it would be a whole nuther story!