Garage Door Spring has sprung...

So one of the springs (one per garage door - there are two doors) has snapped after 30+ years (they just don't make things like they used to) :)

I have been doing the work of the spring to put my truck away at night (not leaving it out in this neighborhood).

Now I am sure I could replace the spring myself... I used to rewind the cables and/or reset and balance the dual springs on a condo garage door in my past (so I am sure I know what I am doing - I have seen all of the warnings). But, these doors are 30+ years old. They are showing some signs of rot along the bottom (Noted when I replaced the weather stripping last summer) and the openers are original to the home...

I am trying to decide if it is time to get new metal doors, new hardware and openers? From what I can see on-line all in I am probably looking at $900 - $1400 CAD per door (installed).

Does anyone have recent experience or thoughts?

Thanks!

Reply to
NedFlanders

Are they torsion springs or the old tension type. The old ones are easy, with the door up, it should be slack. Torsion springs are tougher since you are usually winding them up to full load. and you have to unwind the good one to get the bar off. You will need some 1/2" cold rolled steel bars to wind them up and safely unwind the good one. I bought a 3' stick at the hardware store and cut it in half. You stick one in a hole in the hub and start winding or unwinding. Take a quarter turn, stick in the second bar, hold it while you pull out the first one and just keep going like that until you have it unwound. It will help later if you count the turns it took to unwind. You want to wind them up until you have reduced the weight on the door to a point where you can open it easily. Tighten up the locking screws and try it. You are looking for the balance of easy to open and not pushing too far that way when you are at the top so it will close easily. Most of this is being sure you have the right spring. Duplicating the original number of turns is a good starting point.

Reply to
gfretwell

I had the same problem, since it was the garage door on an old detached garage I got the cheapest one Lowe's had and installed it. An easy job, the old door was wood and the hardware was heavier. I didn't have to change the rails and the new rollers are plastic. For that old garage it looks nice, is lighter and will probably be there when I'm long gone. 250 bucks for the door, keep the springs coated with oil so they don't rust and they will last longer.

Reply to
Home is where I hang my hat

since the door is in aged / poor condition your better off replacing at least one, then the other if money is tight.

at home resale old garage doors can hurt, and at least you get to enjoy the new door.

plus new openers have sensors to keep a kid from being crushed.

Reply to
bob haller

I had a non-insulate metal door (18'x7') installed last year. Detached garage. It replaced the wood one, which was about 50 years old. That door was in decent shape, but since the hardware was 50 years old and wood doors are very heavy I didn't want it over my head. Add to that the electric opener was shot, and I hate painting. It needed painting The metal door with opener, keypad, entry door button and 2 remotes cost $980 installed. Included hauling away the old door. I like it. Less strain on the opener motor. No painting. I think you can pick up the same door for about $4-500. I didn't price openers. They installed a Genie. I was going to do it myself but decided to get it installed after considering the cost, hauling away old door, and having a pro do it. The door has no handle, and for some reason I miss that. Of course I could put one on, but I don't see a need for it.

Reply to
Vic Smith

If you are in Canada steel craft foam core door will be a good choice. You can have it prepainted with your choice color. For opener I'd pick belt or screw drive. Ours is 140V DC motor screw drive which is very quiet and has good speed. If you have lots of time at hand you can do it yourself.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

You know the dog of Flanders, by chance?

Reply to
Edmund J. Burke

Well after reading all your replies I think I am just going to bite the bullet and get new doors and hardware. I am going to go check out what the Big Boxes have tomorrow and maybe call a few local installers for some quotes.

The old openers have never impressed me. They are chain drive, old technology as far as the wireless code is concerned. Both of the openers often drip lubricant the one over my truck drips on to my windshield.

I probably need new rollers all around.

I may opt for some insulation even though the walls of the garage are not insulated. My wife runs a business out of one side so it might help keep some of the heat in when she is running the space heater in the winter.

I would consider installing it myself but I might get a tighter fit letting the pro's do it. The current doors have gaps as wide as 1/2" in some places that let quite a bit of the wind blow thru and the panels rattle around a lot in the wind.

Thanks for all your input!

Reply to
NedFlanders

while your at it why not get the building insulated. it will be more comfy, cut heating and cooling costs. a real win win

Reply to
bob haller