Garage door open alarm

I need a way to tell if my swing-up garage door is open or closed without going outside to look at it. An indicator light or something inside the house that tells me if the door is up or down.
Reason: Too many instances of me or one of the kids opening the door and leaving it open all night, with thousands of dollars worth of tools and other stuff inside. Garage faces the street. Anybody walking by could snatch something off my workbench and be gone before we could do anything about it.
Can't see the door from inside the house, so I want a way to tell at a glance from inside the house if I need to go outside and close it for the night.
-Frank
--
Here\'s some of my work:
http://www.franksknives.com /

I had one given to me, but I have not tried it yet.
http://www.liftmaster.com/cw/product_model/0,1064,uid-imyHaGdiY2lqZw==_272-id-118,00.html

Amazing. I must not be the only person with this problem.
Thanks for the link.
-Frank
--
Here\'s some of my work:
http://www.franksknives.com /

I will check there, too. Looks like the device Oren posted might do the trick for not a lot of $$$.
-Frank
--
Here\'s some of my work:
http://www.franksknives.com /
Frank Warner wrote:

I believe these folk have one.
http://www.smarthome.com
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
I bought a garage door indicator from Sears, about $ 40, consisting of a small transmitter that attaches to the door and a receiving unit that plugs in the wall.
Worked for about half a year. Range was less than anticipated: about 35'. I junked mine because the velcro sticker kept coming lose from the (vibrating) garage door.
You can buy them on E-bay for about $ 20; new
--
Walter
www.rationality.net
Walter R. wrote:

On Tue, 30 May 2006 11:55:41 -0700, Frank Warner

It's hard to give the best advice from a text description.
Please email me your address and I'll stop by to look at the premises up close and in detail.

Here ya go:
601 4th Street, N.W. Washington, D.C. 20535-0002
-Frank
--
Here\'s some of my work:
http://www.franksknives.com /

JD,
Can you see the garage door from your bedroom? If I cannot see the door clearly, I will not operate the remote. Just trying to keep safety in mind when using garage door openers.
NJTrout
JD wrote:

"Light" doesn't exist. What you see is an illusion caused by the absorption of darkness. That bright light is sucking up too much of your darkness. You need to install a powerful dark bulb. Darkness is produced more efficiently than "light", so a 1000W dark bulb gives off as much darkness as a 2200W "light" bulb absorbs. Some leakage is inevitable. Use a dark bulb with a wattage that's 130% or the light bulb with a directional reflector to obtain 99% complete darkness.

Sorry for the intrusion. This post was meant for someplace else.

But it goes along with a lot of the answers on this group.
If you have existing alarm system those would be my choice
http://www.smarthome.com/7455.html
Some, could be programed to show text messages:
Garage door is open.... Etc