Garage Door Not Level

I didn't see this question in the previous "garage door" exchange so here it goes: One side of my two car wide garage door does not meet at the floor like the other side does. The cement floor is level so it is indeed the door. It is about a two inch gap extreme left. I could install one of those rubber "sealers at that point but I wonder if there is a way to adjust the left door brackets, cables or springs to fix this? Thanks.

Reply to
Even Stephen

sounds like the high side has more spring tension than the low side. I'd just tighten/loosen cables as appropriate. If this is a really old door, the low side spring may be stretched in which case it might be easiest to replace them both.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Reply to
Even Stephen

Hi, Is the door square? Then spring needs adjustment.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I think there have been severl threads about the perils of replacing springs oneself. Some make it sound easy but only if you do it right, and there are also different kinds of springs.

(My favorite is Princess SummerfallwinterSpring.)

Reply to
mm

Torsion or extension springs?

If torsion, you can adjust the cable on the high side by loosening the cable "spool" on the high end and spinning it about 1/6 of a turn with the door up, or tightening the opposite side. It would probably be better to do this with the door down, but you would have to un-tension and re-tension the torsion spring to do that, which most homeowners find a little scary.

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

if the tracks are actually vertically plumb, then you probably just need to adjust one of the springs. But if it's 2" off, i'll bet your tracks are out of plumb.

Steve Barker

You might want to double check the level of the door vs the level of the floor using the same standard. You may find that they both show level because your measurement tool is not accurate enough to measure the error. Since the door is likely 8 foot or wider, even a very small error in level will show up over those 8 foot.

Reply to
sligoNoSPAMjoe