Garage door closing with a clunk

Page 1 of 2
House is about 10 years old and no manual in sight. Suggestions based on experience??
TIA
Lou

For starters how about a little more info such as where is the "clunk" coming from? Opener or door? Is it binding? Does it "clunk" with the opener disconnected and operated manually?
No where near enough info for even a guess......

Guy who posts something like that-- just tell him to put cotton in his ears. Problem solved...
Joseph Wheeler wrote:

Your helpful comment shows how smart you are.
Lou

Louie, your wife often whispers the same thing in my ear right afterwards....

Your completely useless description of the problem shows the same about you.

Aren't you completely amazed that several folks provided good hints and suggestions??
Lou "It takes just as much time to be nice to someone as it does to be a jerk. So why be a jerk?" Tim Russet quoting his father Big Russ
benick wrote:

Clunk occurs as door comes down under power. Never thought to try door without power and will do so.
Lou
try getting manual from door makers web site. it may assist you.

Clunk occurs as door comes down under power. Never thought to try door without power and will do so.
Lou

Could be a number of causes. Garage door opener needs adjusted. Garage door springs need adjusted........Or ( my first guess), if you live in a freeze area, the floor may have heaved up due to freezing causing it to "clunk" when it fully closed. You can adjust the travel limit of your opener to compensate if it is due to freezing.
Hank
Hustlin' Hank wrote:

Thank goodness it is not your first guess since house is in The Villages Florida. Thanks for the effort:-))
Lou

Ok, I am probably wrong on my first guess, but, I have heard it is getting to the freezing temps in your area of Fla. Don't discount the possibility of heaving. Adjusting the limit switch adjustment should solve your problem even if it isn't heaving up.
Hank <~~~~amateur guesser
Hustlin' Hank wrote:

In Florida the ground is warm so it never really freezes. And sun is strong too. We had those problems up north.
Thanks again for the effort.
Lou
On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 13:23:05 -0800 (PST), "Hustlin' Hank"

Limit switch adjustment would be my first step too. It's been a problem on my door - and I'm looking at putting in magnetic reed switch limits instead of the microswitch and cat's whisker setup originally on my old Genie TracDrive.

It may be a simple as adjusting the limit switch to keep the door from closing hard enough to give the forceful closing.
On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 20:39:03 -0800, "elgee"

    I agree. I would add to the limit switch an adjustment to the clutch as well may be needed.

Here is my input based on the info you took all the trouble to give.
<begin input>
<end input>
on 2/11/2009 12:22 PM (ET) LouB wrote the following:

What kind of opener do you have, the track with chain or the coiled spring type? Does it clunk when it starts to close, during the travel somewhere, or when it contacts th the floor? Where does the clunk noise originate from, the motor, the track or coil, the door itself? Is there a visible momentary stoppage, shudder, or other unusual movement when it clunks?
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:

It is clunking when it hits the floor which makes me think it is the limit adjustment. Now I just need to find where it is.
Lou
LouB wrote:

Hi, If it does not do it when manually closed, sounds like limit switch is out of adjustment.