Garage doo rotx and repaint

I want to repaint my wood garage door. However near the bottom decorative "square" or whatever you call it water has got in a little and causesed some soft areas/rot I guess. You can see because the area is slightly raised. I know now how to prevent this when I repaint (wood caulk) but what should I do for the wood. The rot is not all the way through the door. It looks like somewhat on the surface. If it rains I think I can push on some of the areas and they get a little soft but in dry weather is feels pretty good. Anyway trying to describe. What's the best way to fix that type of thing? Dig out the old wood somehow and fiill with wood filler? If so what should I use? Or should I just repaint and caulk and not worry about it after maybe sanding down a bit of the raised area? Thanks.

Reply to
Grendel

I have bad news, and good news.

Bad news: your door has cancer and is on it's last leg. The bubbles are only a fraction of what is happening. Check the finger joints, they should be starting to seperate by now. The patient is probably sagging in the center, and the bottom rail of wood should be making a upward incline by now. The door is not long for this world. Painting and sealing the thing is like putting make-up on a fat woman, it may make you feel better, but it isn't really doing any good. Put a fresh coat of paint on the thing, and start saving money. You will be replacing it soon.

and now for the good news...: I just saved a bunch of money by switching to Gieco....

Reply to
Joe

-snip-

4 years ago I treated a door that had rot on the bottom stile with stuff from the Rot Doctor--
.

It was expensive, but far cheaper than a new door of the same quality. I ended up scarfing a new piece over the worst of it & treating the rotting board. After a coat of paint, you can't tell where the old & new come together.

As the other poster pointed out, though-- check all your joints and for signs of sagging. And plan on the 2 days of taking the door down & putting it back up.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht