Gap next to sidewalk

We have a ranch style house. The front stoop is concrete with three stairs to the small on-property sidewalk which leads to the driveway.

My wife noticed what appeared to be a rag lying on the ground next to the stoop. She began to tug at it and eventually an old towel and some other fabric items from _underneath_ the stoop, leaving a large hole (about 10 inches long, 3 or 4 inches high, I don't know how deep) under the corner of the stoop.

We think the previous owner had a problem, maybe with rainwater washing away the soil on which the stoop sits, and stuffed the fabric items under it, then covered it with soil. There's some foliage there so we never noticed it before. Last week we had several torrential rains which might have uncovered the "plug".

Anyway, can someone suggest a good way to fix this? I can shovel some soil into the hole, or perhaps fill it with sand and cover it with soil.

Would some ready-mix concrete work?

Any suggestions, comments, etc. will be greatly appreciated.

-Len

Reply to
LenS

L > We have a ranch style house. The front stoop is concrete with three L > stairs to the small on-property sidewalk which leads to the driveway. L > L > My wife noticed what appeared to be a rag lying on the ground next to L > the stoop. She began to tug at it and eventually an old towel and some L > other fabric items from _underneath_ the stoop, leaving a large hole L > (about 10 inches long, 3 or 4 inches high, I don't know how deep) L > under the corner of the stoop. L > L > We think the previous owner had a problem, maybe with rainwater L > washing away the soil on which the stoop sits, and stuffed the fabric L > items under it, then covered it with soil. There's some foliage there L > so we never noticed it before. Last week we had several torrential L > rains which might have uncovered the "plug". L > L > Anyway, can someone suggest a good way to fix this? I can shovel some L > soil into the hole, or perhaps fill it with sand and cover it with L > soil. L > L > Would some ready-mix concrete work?

Re-stuff the gap but leave about a 2" deep empty space. Get a tube or two of concrete gap filler -- comes in a caulking-gun type of tbe for use with a caulking gun. There are various thickenesses -- the least viscous will run downhill; you probably want medium. If the colour bothers (your wife) sprinkle playyard sand over it and tamp in.

The concrete you suggested will probably break and pop out.

  • South Dakota motto: To rent this space call 1-800-SEE-COWS.
Reply to
barry martin