furniture "cups" to protect pseaudo hardwood floors.

Just installed floating type fake hardwood flooring in my front room (harmonic (or something like that) from Costco.

What is the best way to protect floor from sofa/table legs. My furniture will be moved som, due to heavy use in the room... however I don't want the couch "sliding" when a kid jumps onto it (I know, I know, I can hear all you pius ones out there, I should discipline my kid to not jump onto the couch, but head on over to "alt.family.iknowhowtoparentbetterthanyou" group for posting those comments please)

What I have seen:

"teflon-like buttons" they seem to be great, I use them on a stool in the basement, but that is on cement. It seems a piece of sand of small rock could get caught in them and scratch the floor pretty good if you were moving them around.

Rubber type cups.. interested to hear of others experiences, it would be tough to move, but only acceptable if they didn't degrade over time and end up sticking to the floor or discoloring it.

Hard plastic cups - same as teflon sliders, I suspect they would scratch pretty good if a piece of grit were caught between it and the floor.

Felt Discs these seem to be pretty good options, but the couch would slide a bit.

What are your experiences with any of these, is there something else I should be considering?

Reply to
Jack

I took off the metal sliders on my furniture and installed the plastic buttons. Worked fine for me. Felt never held up for very long

Reply to
SQLit

the teflon sliders and the felt pads both do the same thing. Make it easier to slide even when you don't want it to. I couldn't find anything thay would stop any sliding. I didn't like the look of the rubber cups so I ended up just leaving the couch right on the laminate flooring. It still slides a bit if you sit a bit too agresssively. I tried some foam type pads which self stick to the bottoms of the leg. They worked real well for a liitle while but got destroyed whenever the couch moved a little bit. So far the laminate flooring is holding up well.

Reply to
ronm

Put a boot in their asses when they treat the furniture like a jungle-gym.

Reply to
G Henslee

Besides the rubber cups nothing I know of will work any better than what you've tried.

How about screwing a set of wood blocks to the floor as a way to keep it from sliding? My folks put ones behind the feet of our couch to keep it from sliding back into the drapery. The screw holes can be easily patched if it's needed. You could even go so far as to make the wood block with a cupped edge to help deflect not only front/back but also side to side motion, while still allowing for pulling it forward and over for cleaning. Might help to put a bit of felt in-between the block and the floor to avoid denting the surface and only screw it down enough to firmly hold it in place (thus two screws). Make sure you use long enough screws to get a bite into the subfloor and not just the surface laminate. Pre-drill to make clean holes.

Reply to
wkearney99