Furnace startup problem

I have a gas furnace in my attic, and I started the pilot light (which is hitting the thermocouple) but when it is supposed to go on, only a very slight blue flame emanates from the burner outlets and the fan does not come on. I can turn the fan on down at the thermostat, but only normal air blows out of the vents. I don't think it's a fan problem as the fan worked with the air conditioner.
The small blue flames are easily snuffed out by the slightest breeze.
Any suggestions?

Open the gas valve? Start slapping parts on it in hopes something works? Call a licenced and insured company to check it and insure that its proper and safe?
Pick one?

It sounds like the main gas valve is stuck. This is pretty common with milivolt valves, although I'm not sure that's what you have. If you give it a stiff whack, and it opens, that's what it is. I'd have it replaced
in message

Steve@carolinabreezehvac posted for all of us....

--
Tekkie