Furnace squeaks when it turns off

Page 2 of 3

re: But I never had a furnace that required oiling any part of it.
Ahh...a possible case of "Just because you never had one doesn't mean that they don't exist." ;-)
My previous furnace, a 1950's era Perfection, had a spring loaded cap on each side of the blower motor.. The instructions suggested the use of a few drops of oil in each hole once a year.
Add pictures here
✖
That brings back some memories. It was maybe 1991, and night time. The blower on my furnace started to really totally squeal. I pulled a couple bolts, and the blower housing came out. Found a couple of oil holes on the motor. Dripped on some 10w30 which was what I had. Formed a bit of an air lock, so I poked around in the bubble with a bent out paper clip. After a while, it took some oil, and the fan worked a lot quieter. That was before I had a HVAC job, glad I was able to figure it out on my own.

re: But I never had a furnace that required oiling any part of it.
Ahh...a possible case of "Just because you never had one doesn't mean that they don't exist." ;-)
My previous furnace, a 1950's era Perfection, had a spring loaded cap on each side of the blower motor.. The instructions suggested the use of a few drops of oil in each hole once a year.
Add pictures here
✖
On Jan 7, 3:33 pm, "Stormin Mormon"

My Perfection had a large door (maybe 2' x 3.5', it's been a while) with a handle that gave you easy access to the blower assembly. It was behind this door that you had access to the filter, blower motor with it's oil inlets, the squirrel cage, the belt, etc. Everything blower related was behind that door and readily accessible.
Add pictures here
✖
Unlike the modern furnce, where you can't get to any thing at all.
My Perfection had a large door (maybe 2' x 3.5', it's been a while) with a handle that gave you easy access to the blower assembly. It was behind this door that you had access to the filter, blower motor with it's oil inlets, the squirrel cage, the belt, etc. Everything blower related was behind that door and readily accessible.
Add pictures here
✖
On 1/7/2013 4:48 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Agreed! Those were the good ol' days. Then some unsupervised 5-year-old turned the handle, opened the access door, stuck is finger in and was injured. His mother called the local product liability attorney and the rest his history.
Add pictures here
✖

open? no fan, unless you stuck a cheater tab into the switch slot.
Add pictures here
✖
On Jan 7, 5:41 pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

No safety switch on the blower door of the Perfection.
In fact, it was even less safe than that...
The instructions included a section on how to heat the house during a power failure. You could manually open the main gas valve and push in a tab that would hold the valve open. No power meant no blower and no high temperature cutoff.
The instructions said to use a 10 minute on - 30 minute off duty cycle, but it was completely manual. Fall asleep and it would stay on for hours. I assume bad things could happen, especially to the heat exchanger with no blower to remove the heat.
When the gas valve went bad, they had to replace it with a modern one that no longer had that "feature". The next winter we had an ice storm and I was without power (and my furnace) for 4 days.
Add pictures here
✖
Yow, life imitates fiction. In my book "Custodian Plus" I wrote of the gas valve on the steam boiler, and how the custodian was able to "throw the lever" and open the gas valve, during the power cut. Thanks, glad to know it's not totally fiction.
I've heard that 12 vdc will open some "modern" gas valves. 24 VDC (two car batteries in series) might work instead of 24 VAC. Don't know.
The instructions included a section on how to heat the house during a power failure. You could manually open the main gas valve and push in a tab that would hold the valve open. No power meant no blower and no high temperature cutoff.
The instructions said to use a 10 minute on - 30 minute off duty cycle, but it was completely manual. Fall asleep and it would stay on for hours. I assume bad things could happen, especially to the heat exchanger with no blower to remove the heat.
When the gas valve went bad, they had to replace it with a modern one that no longer had that "feature". The next winter we had an ice storm and I was without power (and my furnace) for 4 days.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 7 Jan 2013 19:35:37 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

the power is out long enough to get dangerously cold inside, I go out and connect the Onan and start pulling on the (non recoil) rope starter. I'll get warmed up, even if the genny doesn't start and I don't get the furnace running... The thing is definitely old enough to vote - I doubt it's older than be, but it could be pretty close. I've got a disconnect in the garage that lets me tap into the furnace circuit in the winter and the freezer/fridge i n the summer.
Add pictures here
✖
How old you figure, in dog years?
Don't tell me, you're backfeeding?
That's what the old Onan single lunger out in the garage is for. If the power is out long enough to get dangerously cold inside, I go out and connect the Onan and start pulling on the (non recoil) rope starter. I'll get warmed up, even if the genny doesn't start and I don't get the furnace running... The thing is definitely old enough to vote - I doubt it's older than be, but it could be pretty close. I've got a disconnect in the garage that lets me tap into the furnace circuit in the winter and the freezer/fridge i n the summer.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 7 Jan 2013 21:29:37 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

Old enough to not have a recoil starter. Similar to the one at;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozO_MK6JJCM
, but square tank and no recoil.. My guess? sicties.

Technically, perhaps, but with my old panel it's foolproof. I can only connect to 2 different circuits - - and it cannot backfeed to any other circuits . It involves pull-out fuse blocks on an old ammalgamated panel. When I put in a new breaker panel I'll have to re-engineer things.

Add pictures here
✖
I had an old lawn mower with a rope start, no recoil. I finally made a rig for my electric drill, so I could spin the flywheel via the nut, and get it going that way. Doesn't apply to generator, used when the power is out.

Old enough to not have a recoil starter. Similar to the one at;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozO_MK6JJCM
, but square tank and no recoil.. My guess? sicties.

Technically, perhaps, but with my old panel it's foolproof. I can only connect to 2 different circuits - - and it cannot backfeed to any other circuits . It involves pull-out fuse blocks on an old ammalgamated panel. When I put in a new breaker panel I'll have to re-engineer things.
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 8 Jan 2013 09:55:40 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

I did it once - on the Onan - and when it started it took the flywheel nut/bolt right off. On the other hand, that's how a friend of mine started his Honda lawn mower for 2 seasons after he pulled the rope out of the starter.

Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 07 Jan 2013 20:42:00 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Onanism often started out in the garage or barn, but it was not pulling the rope.
Add pictures here
✖
Some troll, a master at baiting, is about to drop a load on the ground, in this group. What a jerk off!
"Can I wire and power just enough lights to need glasses?"

Onanism often started out in the garage or barn, but it was not pulling the rope.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 7 Jan 2013 19:35:37 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

I heard that Mormons squeak while having sex !!!! :)
Add pictures here
✖
Sigh. It's true. We have to do marital relations oily in the moining.
I heard that Mormons squeak while having sex !!!! :)
Add pictures here
✖
And then, someone gave me Derby's furnace with the door!
Hey, I'll give it back, OK?
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair Sent: Monday, January 07, 2013 3:45 PM Subject: Re: Furnace squeaks when it turns off

Agreed! Those were the good ol' days. Then some unsupervised 5-year-old turned the handle, opened the access door, stuck is finger in and was injured. His mother called the local product liability attorney and the rest his history.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 7 Jan 2013 16:48:35 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

quite easily. Lnowing what to do with it might be a different story!!
I DID manage to fix the shirp/squeal fron the inductor fan. The web was loose in the cub - I brazed it up over 5 years ago (dealers had no new parts in stock - part was covered by warrantee but not labour)
Add pictures here
✖
I have long believed that you are exceptional. My gut sense, through the usenet group, is that you have a wide variety of skills.
On my 7 year old ? "modern" furnace I can still get at everything quite easily. Lnowing what to do with it might be a different story!!