Furnace Replacement

I think I have been running on borrowed time with my original equipment gas furnace (circa 1960's) and am thinking about having it replaced before it goes TU...although part of me really wants to see how long it will last! It is currently heating about a 1800 sq ft split level house in a moderate (Virginia) climate. Average # of single pane windows and average insulation.
The question is...Are there any problems/scams/etc. I should try to avoid when I start talking to contractors? Is it wise to replace the unit now? Generally speaking, what should I be looking for?
Thanks.
You really want to look for one thing. A good contractor. The brand is a lot less important than you think and the contractor is much more important. Ask around to see if anyone in the neighborhood or at work have someone they trust.
Let them pick the unit that they know well and feel will work best for you.
Keep in mind that this is all free. It will pay for itself with energy savings.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Greg
"KC" wrote in message I think I have been running on borrowed time...although part of me really wants to see how long it will last! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I understand this completely ;-) Why not buy the replacement unit now and keep it beside the old one. When it finally craps, replace right away with the spare. This gives you time to find the best deal.

The warranty is usually from date sold, so it would be running when the furnace is sitting there. If the unit was DOA, you could be screwed.

Get bids from at least 3 contractors of good rep in the area. Are you comfortable with the idea of adjustable speeds? Do you need A/C? Study up on SEER. Higher the better. Each contractor should present you with 3-4 options. Depending on your check book go as high on the SEER as you can afford. Higher is cheaper to run and the cost of energy is going to go up not down.
I bought a 12 seer a/c gas heat central unit 9 years ago. They were almost unheard of then. Never been sorry for the bucks it cost me. Electric bill dropped in half from previous owner. The old unit was 9 seer. My results may be different than yours.
Also have the duct work checked, cleaned and insulated if needed. You will not be sorry.