Furnace hot surface ignitor pricing question

Page 2 of 2

You still may be able to use your existing TV with cable or satellite.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

I'm counting on it.
I still subscribe to <gasp> ANALOG cable TV (Ch 1-70). No set-top box required. I understand that, at least for a while, the Cable Pig<tm> will continue to "pump" analog down their lines. That should give me a little extra "breathing space" (time following the mandated cutover date) while I save up the $$ for the purchase of digital equipment. During that time, of course, the cost of the new technology will come down, too.
--
:)
JR

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 19:12:59 -0600, Jim Redelfs

What I need to investigate is exactly what these broadcasters have in mind for communicating emergency messages for those people who cannot hear over the radio, like deaf and hard-of-hearing people who compose about 10% of the population. I find it difficult to believe that the future holds only pay-television options and nothing for free if radio is still going to be free but totally inaccessible to a significant segment of our population.

What do they do NOW? Why would that change at the digital broadcast cutover?

Where did you get THAT idea? Free broadcast television isn't going away just because it is converting to digital.
For those that cannot or will not convert their existing equipment to digital, converter boxes will be available so that their old sets will continue to function albeit at "low" definition.

Why should the blind - oops, visually impaired - be denied their inherent right to DRIVE? Something must be done!!
Don't worry about it. Free broadcast video will CONTINUE to be accessible to the deaf.
--
:)
JR

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 19:12:59 -0600, Jim Redelfs

I use satellite (DirecTV), although I'd like to get HDTV too.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

No.
The price MIGHT be a bit high, particularly under different circumstances, but two technicians got you warm again in a hurry.
Given that the repair was done by a (presumably) professional, reputable company, you probably also have an implied warranty on their work. Some monetary value must be attributed to that fact.
You could have perused the classified ads or "asked around" and found someone that does such work "on the side" for less, but there would likely be no warranty and the chances that the job would be done promptly and properly would less.
If your furnace ignitor lasts through NEXT winter, I'd say you got your money's worth on a 12-year-old furnace repair.

Unless a MAJOR component is replaced, you should not place so much emphasis on the part or their charge for it. Grossing-up parts costs is a tradition in the service industry and has been for years.
I'll bet that, if you had had the part already purchased and waiting for them, their total charge would have been less, but not as much as $54 less.

I get the feeling that, even if the entire bill had been itemized, but the BOTTOM LINE was the same, you would feel as though you had been overcharged.
That's understandable. $281 to replace a small, relatively inexpensive part is high. If the fix lasts and you stay warm, it won't seem as high as time goes by.
Also, you can always request an ITEMIZATION of charges from any service person.
--
:)
JR