fuel line fitting diameter

If you know the diameter of the nipple flexible fuel line slides onto, can you tell what size line to buy?
The hose on my old pump-up sprayer is stiff. It goes on a 7/16" nipple molded onto the polyethylene tank. Should I buy 7/16" line or something smaller?

I suspect this is the time to go to your friendly Ace Hardware man.
On 11/22/14, 9:33 PM, micky wrote:

everywhere, and sometimes a LEO will judge a book by its cover. ;)
I checked the fuel pump I removed from my mower. It's for 1/4" line. The nipple is 0.28 and the barbs 0.31". That's 12% and 25% over. 3/8" line should fit my sprayer.