front / rear door hardware replacement

My wood front door has polished brass handleset hardware which uses the same key as the back door which has an entry knob & single cylinder deadbolt combo. Since the polished brass is peeled due to weathering (mostly hot sun), I'm thinking of replacing it with the same (if possible) but if I replace both front and back door hardware simultaneously, can I get one key for all (like the old ones are) or do I need to get a locksmith to rekey both doors to use one key? I don't know if I can buy a complete front/back door hardware set similar to the existing in one package so that they share a key?

If I need a locksmith, any idea what this costs? Maybe not worth the cost for the convenience of one key?

Reply to
observer

The major brands (Kwikset, Schlage, etc) sell pairs of hardware keyed the same. For the least amount of work, you should try and stick with the same brand so you don't need to get involved with any more wood cutting. Even within brands, different models might require different hole sizes & placement, so you might want to remove your hardware, measure, and then call manufacturers to match up which NEW units will fit without cutting wood. You still might need to do a little chiseling or filing, but that's usually minor.

If you can't find same-key pairs in one package, some hardware stores can re-key one of the locks to match the other. That cost me $20.00 last year, including extra keys. This is a good reason to buy from a hardware store, not Home Depot or Lowe's.

More info at

and
By the way, this is not a situation where you want to be a cheapskate and try to save money. If one model is $20 and a better one is $30, from the same manufacturer, dish out the extra.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I had a locksmith come to my house 5 years ago and re-key every exterior door in the place to the same key; 4 doors in the house, 1 in the garage, plus the 2 car bay doors. It cost me $90, and was WELL worth it to not have

7 keys.
Reply to
<h>

A locksmith can sell you any number of locksets which all use the same key. You can also get padlocks which can be changed to use the same key as the house key if you have "schlage" locksets.

I have one key (same) for front door and deadbolt, back door and deadbolt, gate padlock, and shed padlock.

Also you get what you pay for. Locksmiths sell "commercial" grade locksets for around $200 which will pretty much last forever when used on a home. These are designed for heavy use doors like schools, businesses, government, etc. They do not sell these in home improvement stores.

I figure you pay the same over time. Replace cheap locksets every so many years and the cost adds up. Or pay now and no need to replace in future.

Reply to
Bill