fridge now freezing everything?

I've got an older Viking refridgerator (about 17 years old). It has always worked perfect. I noticed three days ago that the milk, orange juice and fresh veggies are freezing! The temp setting is on its lowest in the fridge and about half way in the freezer.

Other than a pooched fridge, what could be causing this? Is there a vent or something I can clean? Anything else thats simple? I'd hate to spend $1K on a new fridge if I can squeeze another few years outta this girl.

bmoney

Reply to
Hamilton Audio

Possibly a thermostat that has gone bad is causing it not to cut off.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

Hi,

Canadian Viking...model# may not help us as most/many Canadian model#s' are not online :(

What is the temp inside the freezer?

Bad cold control, inefficient refrigeration system ( why we test the FZ temp ), wrong control settings, light bulb staying on inside confusing the control....

Check the temps inside and let us know :)

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

I would try the iced up freezer coil idea first. Where is your freezer? Is there a fan in the freezer? To defrost you might just turn it off and let the whole box thaw out.

Reply to
Rich256

Since it's cooling, it is repairable. Sounds like needs a cold control. Most applicance guys can get one, and install it with not much trouble.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Well, I completely emptied the freezer and fridge, disassembled all the shelves and THOROUGHLY CLEANED the bugger. :)

I vacuumed a lot of spilled frozen peas (an exploded bag) from inside some inner vents in the freezer. Let it thaw for a day, re-plugged in and let it re-cool and now life is good. in fact, its not cold enough on the current setting anymore :)

Thanks to those who responded!

Reply to
Hamilton Audio