Freezer runs too cold

Page 1 of 2
GE chest freezer, 6 years old, something like 19 cubic feet, model FCM7DRBWH.
The temperature runs to -15 to -10 degrees F when I have it on the warmest setting, which is to say it is colder than what I want, namely 0 degrees.
I am afraid it may be wearing out its compressor.
What is probably wrong?
Thanks.
parts diagram: http://www.appliancepartspros.com/partsearch/model.aspx?model_idR30276
owner's manual: http://www.hammerwall.com/tempmanuals/L0520554.pdf

How much food is in your freezer ?
It sounds like it is almost empty if it is maintaining temperatures like that on the warmest setting (which is 1 on your freezer)...
~~ Evan
On 05/18/2011 02:08 AM, Evan wrote:

It is full, but not packed tightly. The food is in cardboard boxes, but it doesn't nearly fill all the space.
Matt wrote:

Tried to adj. 'stat? Usually mounted in the back near the compressor.
On 05/18/2011 10:04 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Ummm, do you mean some thermostat other than the "cold control"? That is what it is called in the parts diagram. It seems to be the same as what the owner's manual calls the "temperature control", which is on the front side, to be adjusted routinely by the user.
What adjustment do you mean in the back near the compressor?

Defrosting? What model and brand?
--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and farces be with you!
On 05/18/2011 02:37 AM, Man-wai Chang wrote:

Not self-defrosting, although I have never defrosted it yet in six years. I don't open it much. The frost looks about 3/4" at the thickest, but mostly more like 1/2". Maybe frost covers 15% of the inside. Most of the inside has no frost.
GE Model FCM7DRBWH, as mentioned in the OP. See the OP for documents.

I would try defrosting. Maybe the ventilation ducts were all clogged...

Sorry for missing that.
--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and farces be with you!
On 05/18/2011 04:47 AM, Man-wai Chang wrote:

I don't believe there are any ventilation ducts. It is just a chest freezer, not a refrigerator/freezer.
On 5/18/2011 8:06 AM, Matt wrote:

the thermostat sensor may be cover in ice. Anyway, it should be defrosted. We have an upright that needs it after a humid summer even though we have central air. We try to do it once a year. We did it this past fall on a day where it was cold outside. As the freezer is only 3' from a door, we shoved the food outside while doing the defrost. But if the frozen food is kept in a pile and maybe covered with a blanket, it's not a problem.
On May 19, 7:15am, "Stormin Mormon"

It isn't frost on the inside, it is frost where the temperature sensing element is located!!

is the compressor running ALL the time, NEVER shuts off?
can you get the compressor to shut off by turing the temper control knob?
Mark
On 05/18/2011 09:16 AM, Mark wrote:

Good question. The freezer is very quiet in a somewhat noisy room, so it isn't easy to hear. I guess I can tell by reaching behind and touching the compressor, checking for vibration. I will try to answer.
On 05/18/2011 09:16 AM, Mark wrote:

Yes.
I have checked it maybe 15 times since you asked, and it seems that it has been running every time. As I mentioned, it is a very quiet freezer in a somewhat noisy room, so it is not easy to hear. But when I reach behind and touch around the compressor, I can feel vibration and hot and cold.

Only by turning it to 'off', it seems.

GE distributed manuals with most of its freezers, perhaps all. The manual for GE's current 19 cu.ft. suggests max. operating temperature is 23 Fahr. i.e. several degrees below 0 Celsius. When interior temp. rises to 23F an alarm light switches on. Your model is likely to be similar.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Fully defrost it, this is a very common problem, both with freezers and refrigerators. Plus it's cheaper to do than buying anything in the way of parts..
On 05/18/2011 10:01 AM, hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

Okay, I'll do that, I guess.
But the owner's manual does not mention frost as a cause of too-cold temperature.
Matt wrote the following:

Empty the freezer, leave the lid open, and pull the plug. Leave it overnight, or until all the ice is melted. Put the frozen food in a cooler or some such. I have a few summer parties at my house (I have a big inground pool) and I have 2 big Igloo coolers. One for beer and one for soda. I have put frozen food in them when I had to defrost my old fridge/freezer that sits in the garage (due to a frozen valve in the open position, which turned the whole unit into a freezer, and froze everything stored in the fridge section).
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:

even faster: empty the freezer and aim a small fan at the open door. my small freezer can be de-iced in about 20 minutes that way.

== And after defrosting set so that the temperature is -15 F to -20 F which is where they should be for proper storage of frozen food. Near 0 F is too warm. ==