Freezer Lid Problem

I have a very large chest freezer, possibly around 25cf (really big) that is not staying open. When I tighten the springs it will stay up, but also will not close. My guess is that the springs are weak and need replacing. Does this sound right to you? One side of the lid is also bent at the hinge and the hinge is pulling the lid back from the edge. Could this be the problem instead?
Mike D.

yep its the bent hinge, fix that first
do you really need that large a freezer?
might be better off buying a small chest freezer, a new one will save a lot of money on energy espically if you downsize

It could also be that you have ice build-up inside the lid making it too heavy for the springs to hold it open. I've just been through this myself and it wasn't easy to get a repair.
--
Ron P

If we are what we eat then: I\'m fast,
On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 09:32:51 -0400, Worn Out Retread wrote:

Actually it is the lid that is bent and that requires a new lid.

Yes, we need that big a freezer. It is usually full

It is empty now and is not dripping.

i bet a new lid costs more than a new fridge:( assuming parts are even available