Free Pressure Washer - problems

My friend gave me his Simonize pressure washer which he told me worked when he last used it ...3 years ago.

When I went to use it - I hooked up a water hose & a GFCI protected plug - but the pump would not start.

I found a micro switch located after the main on/off switch was being tripped by the pump mechanism & after I hit it - the pump started & ran - but no water came out of the wand. I was careful to not run the unit for more than a few seconds.

I suspect I have to 'prime' the unit - or - it may be the unit got ruined when the previous owner put it away without draining it (it gets COLD here during the winter).

Suggestions appreciated.

My pressure washer does not need to be primed. Doesn't mean yours doesn't. Putting it away without draining it, and then subjecting it to freezing temperatures is sure to kill it. But, I would expect it to leak rather than not run.

So, I have nothing positive to say; but doubt it is either priming or freezing.

Reply to
toller

I've had a couple little electric pressure washers. What I've found works is to hook up the garden hose, and then squeeze the grip handle on the nozzle. Leave the electric off. Eventually, the water will dribble out the nozzle just from garden hose pressure. (ten or twenty seconds).

You may also have a clogged inlet screen, or something blocking the low pressure water line.

As to the micro switch. The ones I've had, when you close the nozzle (let go of the handle) the pump runs for a second or two, and then the micro switch turns off the pump. When you sqeeze the handle, the pump turns back on.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I found the problem. The plastic shutoff valve in the handle had broken - thus preventing water from entering the wand.