forced hot air furnace

Hi all,

I have a NewMac oil/wood combination forced hot air furnace. I just purchased my house (first one) a couple of months ago. I had the furnace inspected and cleaned before firing it up. Anyways, I have a few issues that I am wondering about. - The furnace guy said it has a 0.75 gph nozzle in it, it should have a 1.5 gph nozzle. He figured it was put in to save fuel. Stated if it didn't heat the house enough to replace it with the correct size. - The furnace kicks the burner on, then shuts it off and then turns on the blower. So I only seem to get a quick blast of hot air then its cool air coming out. - It seems to kick on quite a bit I would say maybe every 10 - 15 mins sometimes (maybe its trying to get the house up to temp and has to keep kicking on because the burners not staying on?). Not sure if replacing the nozzle with the larger size will help solve the burner problem, I would tend to think that the burner should stay on with the blowers running to keep hot air blowing out. Haven't burnt wood in it yet, just got the chimney inspected. Plan on burning this weekend for the first time.

Thanks for the help

Reply to
rsnyder

He should have replaced it if it is wrong. They are not very expensive. What does the burner maker say is the correct size? That is what counts. No, it won't save oil. You have to burn a certain amount of fuel to get the corresponding amount of heat from it.

There are temperature limit switches. When the heat exchanger gets up to the pre-set temperature, the burner will shut off as to not oveheat. Then it comes back on at the low setting. The blower should be on if heat is needed as determined by the thermostat. The burner will cycle as needed and should be on most of the time the blower is running.

I don't know if you need a new nozzle or not, but I'm pretty sure you need a new furnace guy. Yours is not operating correctly and he does not seem to know what to do.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Thanks for the reply, I wonder if there is a way to change when the blower turns on? Can I change the temp. that it kicks on at or something? The furnace guy brought to my attention that it was the wrong size nozzle and asked if I wanted to replace it. I figured if the previous owners used it with the smaller nozzle maybe it would save fuel or something. So I figured I would wait and see. And he inspected it before the heating season, so I didn't know of the blower problem, to ask him.

Reply to
rsnyder

There may be a temp sensor above the burner that turns on the fan after the heat exchanger has heated up enough. It may have turn on and turn off adjustments.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

rsnyder posted for all of us...

Asked and answered MANY times - do your own research.

Reply to
Tekkie®