forced hot air filter

My wife is considering buying an Ionic Breeze or something similar for the bedroom during the winter months. I have oil-fired forced hot air for heating. Any recommendations for a filtering system in the ductwork that would achieve the same results, but for the whole house?

Every air filter/cleaner has its ups and downs. Whole house only work when running all of the time. I have had two of the ionic breezes for more than 5 years. To a point they will pull the "floaties" out of the air. As for silent claims they are until they get dirty.
You do not specify what your trying to accomplish so a recommendation is pretty hard. Check your furnace and see what amount of static air pressure it will stand. My new York heatpump craps out at 0.60" of static. Try WW Grainger's replaceable filter area. I buy filters there that do wonders for my home. They say that they will run 90 days I change in 30.
I had the Honeywell cleaner as well as a couple of other fan based units. I did not like the noise. Here's to hoping you find something that works for ya
SQLit wrote:

Well, let's say much of the time. The air does not suddenly turn dirty the second the fan turns off. Now after a couple of days...

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Do some research (and not the "research" they talk about on their commercial) and see what those things REALLY do. Instead of paying an arm and a leg for something that collects dirt ("Oooooo! That must mean it's working!!!") do a search on air cleaning systems. You can get electronic or media type (and others) that can be installed in your current system. Try looking at this just to get an idea:
http://yourhome.honeywell.com/Consumer/Cultures/en-US/Products/Air+Cleaners/
I'm a lurking hoammoaner at alt.hvac but didn't dare post there. thanks for the reply. I was searching around this morning and there are allot of options. An electrostatic filter would be the easiest. UV is an option. I do the HVAC maintenance for our school system so ductwork mods (and wiring if necessary) wouldn't be a problem. I've seen some negative posts about UV. And mold isn't a problem in our house. Do electrostatics work? I don't have central air installed. Fairly small 2 story house with feed and returns in the rooms both up and down. I plan to call our filter vendor Monday for suggestions. thanks for any feedback. Mark S.

Mark Schofield wrote:

Yes. Some work better than others and of course they only work when the fan is on.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Mark Schofield wrote:

Sure if you want something to do the same thing for your whole house, just find a source of ozone (ozone is poisonous).
Look at what those advertisements really say.
"Helps reduce indoor air pollution" Sure it does, but it might take a hundred of them to actually make any measurable difference in the air quality.
That spring time or fresh like smell they talk about is ozone, which is regulated as a hazardous substance. Most every copy machine and many laser printers have filters on them to reduce the stuff.
They claim they are the most trusted (by consumers) which makes sense considering all the questionable advertising they do.
The accreditation sources they quote are very suspect.
What is not suspect are the independent test which say they are basically worthless and which the manufacturer challenged in court and lost.
First determine if you have a air related problem. All that advertising has convinced many people without problems to think they do have problems. If you do, then find out exactly what the problem is and what might be done to reduce or eliminate it.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Joseph Meehan wrote:

IMHO Ozone stinks!
Go visit a Sharper Image store (in many malls) and put your nose close to one of those things.
Lou