For Drilling Holes In Tree Stumps

Page 4 of 4

I am not Ike... Which magic number are you talking about?
escapee wrote:

Okay, just wondering.....
44--sometimes 45 IIRC
--

SVL

opined:

No, higher. One of the more idiotic types with, say, 40-10-10.
Need a good, cheap, knowledge expanding present for a friend? http://www.animaux.net/stern/present.html
Ignoramus32760 wrote:

No. 10 percent is low. Garden ferilier is often 15-15-15 which is 15 percent nitrogen and standard lawn fertilizer is 23-?-? which means 23 percent nitrogen. Amonium nitrate will give the highest amount of nitrogen and is 35 percent nitrogen (if I added up the atomic weights correctly). Potassium nitrate is only 14 percent nitrogen.
Ignoramus32760 wrote:

Any farm/fertilizer/lawn care/etc. store. Simpler to just buy any standard fertilizer, especially sacks of ammonium nitrate. You buy this stuff anywhere else and you will pay 4-5 up to 20 times the price.
No chemical will desstroy the stump except maybe fuming sulfuric acid which would turn it into charcoal. The chemicals put in stumps are just nutrients to speed growth of decay organisms--primarily any nitrate.
Ignoramus32760 wrote:

I tried fuming sulfuric and fuming nitric and all those did was to reduce the immediate volume around the holes but the remainder of the stump remained. Looking back I think the majority of the removal was facilitated by the microbes that digested the stump. All I had to do was keep it moist and fertilize it. I spent over 5 years rotting the thing out. It was in such a tight place that I couldn't get a stump grinder in.
I tried a small army of Mexicans but after watching them work for a while canceled that. What I didn't need was a Mexican in an emergency room. Careful they're not.
RB
George E. Cawthon wrote:

You are technically right, but in combination with rain and the elements, the stump will decompose. I used a 1" spade bit, drilled a lot of holes and poured composting chemical into the holes. It literally took years for the stump to wear away. A new tree sits in its place.
snipped-for-privacy@email.msn.com ( snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com) wrote:

Drill holes in the stump, fill with sunflower seeds, wait for the wild life to find, and dig them out. Repeat as needed. :)