For Drilling Holes In Tree Stumps

You know, it's well into the realm of "not fun", but if you're really in a hurry to get the damn stump out and you're too cheap to rent a tractor, you can always take a shovel and an axe to it. (or, if you're careful and quick, someone else's chainsaw.)

--Goedjn

Reply to
default

Great exercise. I removed four that way in my yard. I have two more two go. Rinse off the roots to prevent the sand from wearing out the chainsaw.

My Grandpa Bomb would have done it entirely different.

Death to the christian jew cop government.

Reply to
Colonel Polyps

You are technically right, but in combination with rain and the elements, the stump will decompose. I used a 1" spade bit, drilled a lot of holes and poured composting chemical into the holes. It literally took years for the stump to wear away. A new tree sits in its place.

Reply to
Abe M.

Stumps have sand and dirt mixed into the wood. Really dulls saw chain in a hurry (couple minutes or less). DAMHIKT.

Dulls sawzall blades, too, this I know. Taking out about an

8 inch tree with a sawzall, like 10 blades, and a couple days work.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Hmm--I was gonna suggest using a Sawzall. I took out an 8" douglas fir with mine. Used a chain saw to down it (2' stump), dug a bit around the roots to expose them, and severed each with the Sawzall. The only hard one to get at was the tap root. Used a "wood and nails" blade.

It was unexpectedly quick and easy (30 min. for the stump) and didn't appreciably dull the single blade (as far as I remember).

I imagine the type and hardness of the tree made the difference.

--John W. Wells Learn more about Existentialism

John W. Wells

Yes, since it's a safe bet that if you pump some diesel into a stump, some WILL get into the ground around that stump.

Unknown, but I'd be willing to bet that SOME would. Since one of the reasons I moved into the country was to live out here, I'd prefer not to pump any diesel into the ground if I have a choice in the matter. If that means a little more work with a pick and pry bar, I'll do the extra work.

Reply to
The Watcher

I'd take that bet if you'd want to come watch me fill my lawnmower tank. I fill my tank very carefully, and usually don't spill ANY gas on the deck, much less on the ground, so I'd say it's a safe bet that I'd put less fuel into the ground than somebody who deliberately pumped some into a buried tree stump.

Reply to
The Watcher

In article , The Watcher >stump. I then burn that stump to the ground. How much of that 1/2 liter do you

On what grounds would you bet that some would? My experience has been that diesel, when exposed to high heat and flame, burns pretty well.

billo

Reply to
Bill Oliver

On the grounds that diesel spreads out any time it isn't tightly contained, and tree roots wouldn't contain any liquid tightly.

There might be some high heat and flame in there, but there would probably be some low heat also, and there would also be some areas that wouldn't get any flame unless you dug down there and exposed them to fresh air, and if you were going to do all that work you could just as easily dig up the roots anyway.

Reply to
The Watcher