For Drilling Holes In Tree Stumps

With explosives, you must reach the speed of detonation to have an explosion. Explosives are rated in feet per second, that is, a mathematically arrived at figure where you could lay out ten miles of the stuff, and time it from one end to the other. Black powder is slower, hence, you have seen the trail of gunpowder lit by the bank robbers and all snaking its way along. Something like 500 fps. That is low order. High order is in the 24,000 fps and up range.

Many high explosives will burn and not explode. C4 plastic explosive was commonly burned in small food stoves in Viet Nam.

A story is told in "Yankee Autumn in Acadiana", an account of the Civil War movement of the North fighting the South as it progressed through southern Louisiana. A particularly loony soldier would commonly use an unexploded "Parrott" shell as a cook surface by building a fire next to it. These were

16" in diameter. He would turn it flat side up. Other soldiers would stay away from his camp. He said it would not ignite. He was wrong, and one night, it did with him cooking dinner. He was never seen again.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

They WILL burn away. They WILL decay away. It just depends how long you want to wait.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Called Stump Destroyer. Available at your local Farm & Fleet. Probably commercial salt peter. Cheers..

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

Sporkman is thinking ANFO.

Ammonium Nitrate (fertilizer) and fuel oil is a true explosive, and will go kaboom without confinement - but it does need a cap to initiate.

Otherwise known as "ANFO". The US govt (used to) publish pamphlets with instructions for farmers how to make the stuff to blow up stumps. The mining industry (and certain road building) uses it extensively. Drill holes in the rock, tanker truck pumps in pre-mixed ANFO, set blasting cap, and boom!

Sodium/Potassium nitrate plus fuel oil isn't a true explosive - burns rather than explodes. Should be considered with caution, because below-ground fires can be _extremely_ nasty to put out, and pop up hundreds of yards from where you set them.

While this is fun to do, I think the heat production is way too short-duration to be much use with a stump.

Welding large castings, rails, etc... ;-)

Reply to
Chris Lewis

Potassium nitrate.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

and where could I buy it?

Ignoramus32760

Thanks to all for responding.

The bit was $24 at Lowe's. The cheapest drill to handle it was $89. (They tried to sell me a drill for $199.) Worst of all, the potassium nitrate instructions said it would take 4-6 MONTHS to soften the wood for burning. The internet led me to believe it would take 4-6 WEEKS.

Can't rent a grinder because I have no truck to transport it back and forth.

So it's back to the old method I used for the other stumps: An ax and a lot of sweat. There are only 3 stumps remaining anyway.

Sure woulda been nice to find an easier method. At age 60, swinging that ax beats the hell out of my hands and wrist joints.

Thanks again.

Jack

Reply to
BroJack

Hardware store, plant nursery, or at the home and garden dept at many variety stores--labeled as "Stump Remover"--read the label, diesel or other hydrocarbon fuel will help if you intend to later burn the stump.

Bulk quantities are available at wholesale chemical houses and pyrotechnic materials suppliers........

Beware, stump removal grade is *not* generally not pure enough for pyrotechnic use, so suggest dont get any bright ideas about making explosives or other 4th of July demonstrations with it.

Enuff said ???

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

All you need is any cheap bag of high nitrogen fertilizer. Try not to get it on anything but the stump you are trying to decay. In addition to the nitrogen fertilizer, also put about a five pound bag of sugar on the stump to seep into the holes you drill. The carbon in the sugar will help expedite the process

Need a good, cheap, knowledge expanding present for a friend?

escapee

So, the basic idea is, drill holes, pour KNO3 powder, add diesel fuel?

Wouldn't that be an immediate fire hazard?

cool.

I already had those bright ideas...

How about ammonium nitrate, can it be bought? I used it in Russia in my garden all the time.

Ignoramus32760

Yup....

In composting of woody material, nitrogen is needed--if not available in the form of green clippings it can be always be added in chemical form.

Not sure about the sugar though, as in this case there is already plenty of carbon in the stump.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

How is a high nitrogen fertiliser labeled?It is not 10-10-10, right?

Ignoramus32760

Go figure--bigger fishes elsewhere........

Seeya.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Ike ???

Is that you ???

The magic number is above 40.......

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

I am not Ike... Which magic number are you talking about?

Ignoramus32760

Okay, just wondering.....

44--sometimes 45 IIRC
Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

snipped-for-privacy@windswept.net (BroJack) wrote in news:40c0a6c7.24624580 @news.newshosting.com:

Sounds like the KNO3 method is tantamount to turning your tree stump into a compost pile, except with industrial strength reagents.

For faster results, you could try drilling more smaller diameter holes instead of just the one. Most people have 3/8" drills, an 8" long bit is another story. If you're stuck with a short length bit, you could always drill a pattern and whack the stump a couple of times to increase the depth and available surface area. Adding water periodically would probably accelerate the results, along with warmer temperatures and. All this being theoretical, never had to do it myself.

Got to go, good luck.

[rec.gardens]
Reply to
Salty Thumb

Drill holes in the stump, fill with sunflower seeds, wait for the wild life to find, and dig them out. Repeat as needed. :)

Reply to
John Hines

Home Depot will rent you the truck when you rent the grinder.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Reply to
George E. Cawthon