Follow-up, Battery Charger....it works

Page 2 of 2
On 12/4/2015 12:57 PM, Micky wrote:

Stick is cheaper in Europe. They get a hefty premium for automatics and for anything larger than a sardine can. In the US, I've never seen anything other than an automatic rental, but they may exist.

I bet that 90% of the people in the US much under 40 can not drive a stick unless they have lived on a farm. Very few people have them now and they do not have them in the drivers ed at school.
North Carolina was talking about doing away with DE in schools. Not sure if they did or not. Foolish thing if they do. They will save a few bucks and open the doors for more accidents due to unskiled drivers.
On Fri, 4 Dec 2015 19:15:27 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"

I've never owned a stick and my parents didn't since I was born, but I read in a book how to drive one, and memorized it. Then a friend was going to use his car on a trip we were taking, but he couldn't leave unt il a few days later, so he took two of us out and taught us how to drive his stick. We were going from Chicago to Pittsburgh, only 3 traffic lights at each end, so he said we wouldn't have to shift much, and he was right.

County did do away with it a few years ago, but they're bringing it back, starting this year or last year.
On 12/3/2015 2:16 PM, Micky wrote:

Not too many hills in Milwaukee either but I lived on the top of a river bank.

You're right. Thanks.
Right now, I still haven't bought a new battery, but a friend whose riding mower finally needed too many repairs lent me its battery. 10AH, and 3 times as big as the space provided in the scooter.
Based on the earlier thread, I've been estimating how much I used for cranking, and charging with the 1-amp charger just long enough to replace that. Yesterday I figured that was 40 minutes.
I also removed the tail light, so that when I'm not cranking but haven't turned off the ignition**, the battery is only powering the front running light and the ignition, but I disconnect all of that within a minute.
**I also made it easier to turn off the ignition by getting 2 more 12- inch jumper wires, so that the wires aren't in front of the scooter but long enough to drape back over the handlebars, where I alligator clip one to another. And before that, I stuffed spade connectors in the quick connector in front so that I don't have to force the alligator clips in the small slots, only to have them spring back out later.
Cold and windy today. Warmer tomorrow. Time for another tryl.