Fluorescent Bulbs Questions

Last couple of days I have been fixing various fluorescent fixtures in my kitchen and garage.

I got them all done but struggled with one thing. Removing and installing the tubes (T12). Once I rotated the tubes out of their sockets I had a real hard time taking them out of the "box". They are recessed fixtures and once you removed the cover, the opening is about a good 1-1/2 to 2" shorter than the actual length of the tube. Even if you move each end to the opposite corner there is not enough room. I spent a LONG TIME just getting the old tubes out and the new tubes into the box. I don't get it why do they make it so difficult to take a tube in and out?

Secondly what is a good way to dispose of a flurescent tube? I have about

12 tubes of 4' long tubes (T12), what do I do with it I cannot put them in the regular garbage bin for disposal right? It's too tall and if it's broken it will be a mess.

Thanks,

MC

Reply to
MiamiCuse

Yes, they are a PITA to change. They make the fixtures a few pennies cheaper by making them as compact as possible.

Depends on your local regulations. Some still allow small quantities of them to go into regular trash, other communities take them in hazardous waste so the mercury can be reclaimed. You may want to call your town hall or wherever that sort of thing is handled.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

On 1/9/2010 8:46 PM MiamiCuse spake thus:

Depends on where you are. But you already knew that.

Luckily, Berkeley (which is close to where I live) accepts fluorescent bulbs at their transfer station, where they get disposed of properly (we hope, anyhow). Other cities may have similar places.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

If you have no local hazardous waste station, put them in a 30 gallon garbage bag and then break them up with a big board or hammer, etc, and put the whole thing in the garbage.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Have you tried calling any lighting/electrical suppliers in your area. There is a supplier I deal with that will take the used bulbs for proper disposal and recycling.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

You may want to put those fixtures out on the curb. Our local power company (AmerenIP) sent a flyer with the monthly bill from ActOnEnergy.com (1-866-800-0740) stating that T12's will be phased out in 2012. They have an ongoing incentive program apparently and are offering another 10% incentive until 1/31/2010. Your local power company may also be participating.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

You may want to put those fixtures out on the curb. Our local power company (AmerenIP) sent a flyer with the monthly bill from ActOnEnergy.com (1-866-800-0740) stating that T12's will be phased out in 2012. They have an ongoing incentive program apparently and are offering another 10% incentive until 1/31/2010. Your local power company may also be participating.

Joe

Working for a major university, we converted all T12s in all buildings on campus some time ago to T8s and are now considering LEDs when they become more applicable and cost friendly.

Reply to
SBH

The way we did it before we found out that everything causes cancer.

Reply to
willshak