fluorescent bulbs and dimmer switches?

hi,
i have a ceiling fan with a light kit. we have a sliding "dimmer" switch on the wall we use to control the light output.
it works fine with incandescent bulbs. but i have read that if i switch to fluorscent bulbs i have to buy bulbs that are marked "dimmer", that regular fluorescent bulbs won't work for some reason. the dimmer fluorescents are more expensive.
is this i must have special "dimmer" fluorescents bulb business true? and if so, why is this?
thanks,
sammy
sammy wrote:

Yes, there is something special and using non-dimmer compliant can mean poor performance or overheating. The first is annoying the second dangerous.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
The electronic ballasts used in standard CF's do not do well with a dimmer. Using one with them can and will cause them to fail and they will not dim anyway, they will just flicker or go out.
--
If at first you don\'t succeed, you\'re not cut out for skydiving
"sammy" <sammy@toast> wrote in message

There are special CFL's that are designed and rated for dimmer switches. Just look around and read the packages.

Or change the switch to one that is simply on/off.
--
Peace,
BobJ

CFL without dimmable notice, can cause fires. I was told the ballast will overheat.
tom @ www.FindMeShelter.com