Florescent Bulb question

I just hung a florescent fixture in my garage and it has an electronic ballast. The ballast says I need T8 bulbs (32 watt). I looked online and found out these are 1 inch dia. bulbs. All I could find at the local hardware store were the "standard" 32 watt bulbs, that are one and a half (1 1/2) inch CW bulbs. (T12). The bulbs fit in the fixture and light. But I am concerned that it may damage the ballast or bulb, since this is not the recommended bulb.
Anyone got any comments?
Thanks
I think I have seen T8 bulbs at HD.
-=- Alan
On 11/06/03 02:57 pm snipped-for-privacy@online.com put fingers to keyboard and launched the following message into cyberspace:

Yep! I just purchased 4 of the same type of fixtures at HD and also picked up a 25 bulb case of bulb..
I didn't find that they cost much more than quality T12 bulbs.
The new fixtures sure work great in the low 30s temp we're having right now.. Suppose to be good down to zero.
Steve
Get the T8's they will work this winter when it gets cold and they will produce more light.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math