Floor Joists in a 2 story house

Do all floor joists in a 2 story house run the same way on each level?
Thanks Chad
Not necessarily. They usually do in most basic houses. snipped-for-privacy@maplan.com wrote:

On 8 Jun 2006 11:56:09 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@maplan.com"

In typical constuction, usually. But there's no reason for that, except that the shape of the floor is usually the same, and therefore the easiest/cheapest way to assemble the floor is the same. My house is timber-frame, and there's beam running along the centerline on the ground and upper floor, but not in the attic, so the third floor, the joists all run frame-to-frame, and on the lower floors, they're parallel to the frame.
I am trying to locate my load bearing walls. I have a small attic access on the secod level at floor level and the joists seem to be running a different way than the joists in the basement. I am wanting to expand a doorway to a openening about 9' wide, but I think the wall is a load bearing wall. What type of header will I need?
Thanks
Goedjn wrote:

My bad, the joist are running the same way, so that is a load bearing wall!!
snipped-for-privacy@maplan.com wrote:

On 8 Jun 2006 17:11:31 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@maplan.com"

THe kind recommended by someone who's actually looked at the house, and poked a hole in the ceiling or floor to see what's actually there.