floor all done

just to close the book on this one...

tile floor all done, looks great. can't say I did a perfect job, but it still looks like a pro put it in. when they say watch the water cleaning off excess grout they're not kidding.

out of curiosity... one tile seems not to of adhered as well to the thinset as all of the others. You can hear the hollow sound when you tap on it. As odd as this may sound I remember laying that tile and the bed of thinset was as good as any of the others. What causes that kind of thing? I'm thinking it may have been a locally uneven floor but there were a couple of spots like that and the thinset floated the tiles on them fine except for this one.

anyway, thanks again for all the advice folks provided regarding this.

ml

Reply to
kzinNOSPAM99

You may have moved that tile to adjust it and broke the bond, or you didn't give it the love push as you installed it, i.e. when setting the tile into the thinset, you need to give a little push and wiggle.

Reply to
G Henslee

This is extremely common and usually causes no problems unless you drop something really heavy on it(then it may crack or break). I had one tile like that in my previous home in the family room that I tiled myself. After 7 years it was still fine, but still sounded hollow when something was dropped on it.

My current home's family room has porcelain tile that was installed by a professional. Hollow sounding tiles abound. I swear there are dozens of them. Annoying as hell to know that I could have done a better job than the pro, but I didn't have the time to spare.

Reply to
Dennis Turner