Fix pipe leak (copper) picture attached

Hi, I have been to trying to fix a leak in the copper pipe by the usual procedure (i.e. soldering) and I am unsucessful in the process.

After I am done (at least I think it is fixed), the water starts leaking again from the same. Are there any different ways of doing it.

To see the photo of my link please visit

venkatesan.ramkumar

Either the copper wasn't cleaned properly, wasn't fluxed properly, or didn't get hot enough to sweat. My guess is that you still had water in the line which prevented the joint from getting hot enough to sweat.

Reply to
marson

I can't really tell what the fitting or the problem is from the photo. It looks as if it may be in a solar heater. The solder looks to be gobbed on the outside of the pipe cap, not drawn into the joint. The drop tube that was capped was probably silver soldered to the main tube. Is it the cap that is leaking or the down tube joint?

Sometimes things get so crudded up, it is beneficial to just replace a section of pipe and get back to some native pipe in good shape. The rust and dirt pattern almost look like the main pipe or down tube joint is leaking. The joint needs to be hot enough to draw solder into the joint, not lay on the outside. Have you ever removed the cap completely? If you can remove the cap and you can see where either the cap or the pipe is not fully tinned. If they are completely tinned and properly heated, they will seal as long as there is ABSOLUTELY no water making steam in the joint area. If you can't remove the cap, there is a chance it was silver soldered, a totally different process that requires a totally different solution.

It looks as if the clearances are extremely tight. I would try to get the incoming large pipe cut loose, enlarge the entry hole at the frame to see about getting a bit of wiggle room at the top of the frame. If you could get the main tube cleaned up and cut, you could bring in a fresh piece of pipe with a coupling and eliminate the by-passed tube. I don't think you will ever get enough clearance to use a tubing cutter, think jig saw or Dremel. Once soldered in, waterproofing the enlarged hole in the frame should be fairly easy.

Reply to
DanG

If that's a Solar panel sitting on a roof and the capped T is on the high side it has to have water sitting in it. Either way you need to pull the cap, don't even bother cleaning it buy a new one. If you cant get it off you might have to drill a hole in it ( 3/16 ) and drain it. If there is any water in it it wont come off . You may still not be able to remove the cap , You might have to peal it off or leave and Sill- Floss it ( Braze ) at this point you might consider calling a plumber it might save you some frustration.

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

I hope your talking about brazing

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

You don't need to get pipe anywhere near that hot to solder it.

Reply to
Doug Miller