First 100w bulbs, now the internet

Is there anything our legislators cannot do? Big portions of the internet will go dark Wednesday.
"Controversial anti-piracy legislation, already on life support in the House, is now in serious doubt in the Senate, where the confluence of a Republican rump rebellion, White House concerns and a Wednesday blackout by Wikipedia, Mozilla [Reddit, Google] and other big-name websites is enough to give some senators second thoughts."
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0112/71562.html#ixzz1jleEaljI
The good news, however, is that www.pornhub.com will still be up, straight as an arrow.

yes, work towards the common good
Big portions of the internet

if you consider three or four websites to be "big portions"

wait a minute, you think "our" legislators are doing this?

what is your wifes profile address?
On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 17:15:17 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"

Why not Facebook? I can only wish and hope that Facebook goes black *PERMANENTLY*! If the govt. dont destroy the internet, Facebook will!!!!
I'm guessing a lot of companies lose employee hours, due to FB game playing.
Why not Facebook? I can only wish and hope that Facebook goes black *PERMANENTLY*! If the govt. dont destroy the internet, Facebook will!!!!

in this economy, I'd be firing their asses and replacing with the many that would work harder and cheaper
Spoken (written) like a true free market conservative.
I'm sure a lot of companies do just that.
in this economy, I'd be firing their asses and replacing with the many that would work harder and cheaper

nope, it's just that the fools that spend their time on the net for non-work related activities cause the price of their companies products or services to increase and I don't want to pay for that. Those poor employees could always try to make a case that since they are net addicted they should get workers comp, but they shouldn't be wasting an employers time
but then I guess you'd just pat them on the back and say "good job"

and if they did, it would be making the news and lawyers very happy

"Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.) is scramblin to rewrite his bill to soften the blowback from the high-tech sector and from senators worried about the political implications of jamming an industry that has the capacity to communicate across the planet in fractions of a second."
The idiot (Leaky) Leahy never figured out what any kid that's been to a carnival knows; don't insult the guy with the microphone.
Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0112/71562.html#ixzz1jm7sTsaK

How about whitehouse dot gov?
If Wikipedia blacks out the English language tomorrow, where will harry get his reference material?
whitehouse.com will still be up as normal.
And I didn't speak up, because I wasn't a 100 watt light bulb?
Today (wed, Jan 18, 2012), the Wikepedia web site lets you see the page for an instant, and then goes to a contact info page, so you can protest to your legislators.
I guess if Democrats sign recall petitions repeatedly, I can email my Democrat legislators from each of my several eamil adress?
Is there anything our legislators cannot do? Big portions of the internet will go dark Wednesday.
"Controversial anti-piracy legislation, already on life support in the House, is now in serious doubt in the Senate, where the confluence of a Republican rump rebellion, White House concerns and a Wednesday blackout by Wikipedia, Mozilla [Reddit, Google] and other big-name websites is enough to give some senators second thoughts."
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0112/71562.html#ixzz1jleEaljI
The good news, however, is that www.pornhub.com will still be up, straight as an arrow.
On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 18:16:05 -0800, Oren wrote:

He'll pull it out of his ass as usual?

Wait, "on life support," "in serious doubt????"
Doesn't that mean the laws are NOT going to be passed?
I thought this legislation was a done deal and we were all doomed DOOMED???

Not to mention that Fearless Leader will overcome his Fear and actually sign it into law.. <snicker>
The people who want to take freedom will simply reintroduce the same legislation later. The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Reaction to SOPA: Video
<
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvXo4sGB7zM

On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 07:52:45 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

better than the robber who hits a convenience store. Both are thieves.
Anthony wrote:

Yep. But to shut down an entire site with an internet death penalty because someone claims that their copyrighted material appears on the site is worse than the infringement.
Further, the existence of the copyrighted material on a web site is NOT illegal - it is the downloading that's the infraction. With the proposed laws, the sanction is entirely against the "offending" site, not the person who downloaded the material.
Third, if the government can shut down places that offer IP material, it's but a small step to prevent us from buying 100-watt bulbs from Guatamala, TSP from Burma, or any other product deemed hateful by our betters.