Firex Smoke Alarm Detector Problem

I have Firex smoke alarm detectors for the bedrooms. (Apparently put in by builder.) One went off sporadically last night. There was no smoke. I noticed that the green light blinks periodically, but I saw, or thought I saw, it red periodically. Has anyone out there had a similar problem?

Guess I will go down to Home Depot and get a new one, since documentation says to replace every

10 years. The model has been discontinued, and when I tried calling the company, Invensys, the phone has been disconnected.

Sure would appreciate any suggestions....

Reply to
Les

I think they all have similar problems eventually. I suppose they get an accumulation of dust in them causing false tripping. If it's ten years old, replace them all, they're cheap enough

Reply to
RBM

What model is it? The green light usually indicates that AC power is present. It should be a steady green light.......usually. The red light usually indicates: 1) of unit self testing ( if flashes every minute or so).... this is normal, and/or 2) if will flash every second or so.......with also the audible alarm sounding- this indicates that the unit is sensing a smoke condition.

If unit beeps every once in a while...............then this indicates that the internal battery should be replaced. It is usually a 9 volt battery.

I have attached a link to an operators manual for Firex smoke alarms.............your model, if not there, should be very similiar. This should help you out. You will have to zoom in to 100% in order to read it. Hope it helps.

Dean

Reply to
avid_hiker

Don't overlook the possibility that an insect may have crawled in and caused the tripping. I've had that happen in our home more than once.

Spray a little RAID around (but not into) the detector.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

If it went off at a reasonable time, be happy. They always seem to false alarm at around 3:30 AM. As cheap as they are, you are probably best off replacing it, and they should all be replaced every 10 years as someone else noted.

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

Not a solid green, check the power supply and I wonder, how old are they?

tom @

Just Joshin

How do you know there was no smoke?

A neighbor had a smoke alarm going off sporadically, so he removed the detector to get it repaired. I don't know where they repair detectors, but nonetheless, days or weeks later a fire broke out in the clock of his stove. Burned out the whole kitchen and smoke damage elsewhere. Maybe water damage under the kitchen also.

These things are sensitve and will alarm when smoke levels are below what your nose can sense.

Reply to
mm