fireplace insert recommendations

I have a gas fireplace that is essentially useless for warming up the great room of my house. With the coming winter, the wife wants something to replace it and I was hoping there may be some recommendations for fireplace inserts or something like that. We were thinking about pellet stoves but are not set on anything in particular. Any other recommendations?

must be one big room or one small gas fireplace?
have you tried a blower or a ceiling fan?
bill
snipped-for-privacy@nwlink.com wrote:

It is a big room with vaulted ceiling and a ceiling fan; no blower is installed. Besides, gas prices are going up and it's never worked quite right.
On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 08:34:43 -0400, badgolferman wrote:

You mention a fireplace insert, but don't mention your existing chimney. You are aware that a wood/pellet stove may need a completely new chimney?
thunder wrote:

No, I don't. Tell me more and what should I look for?
On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 13:43:25 -0400, badgolferman wrote:

I am not saying you need a new chimney, but due to safety issues, I would make sure. Gas fireplaces can be vent-less or use flues designed for gas use only. What may be adequate for gas, may not be adequate for wood burning with it's combustion byproducts (creosote).
Heat N Glo have some that are rated as furnaces so they should be plenty hot. Look for ceramic glass instead of tempered glass for high heat output and also a circulating fan. I'm sure there are other makes with similar features. Visit a fireplace shop and not just Lowes or HD.

the
were
particular.