Fire treated lumber

When do you have to use fire treated lumber? When I was doing construction we had to use it everywhere.

I am getting the guys that are putting in my siding are using plywood trim spacers. The strips will run the length of the house and are about 3 inches wide. Should they be fire treated?

Reply to
Terry

Where are you located, that requires fire-treated lumber for everything??

Reply to
Doug Miller

Atlanta.

I work in mainly commercial buildings and hosptials as an electrician.

Should plywood used in building a house also be fire treated?

Reply to
Terry

I had never heard of fire treated wood, but found out what it was from google.

How does the price compare to regular wood. Twice? Five times? All the web sites say is that it is cheaper than other fire resistant alternative.

Reply to
Toller

Ahhh, that explains it. Standards are more stringent in commercial buildings, and a *lot* more so in hospitals.

Not to my knowledge. Obviously wouldn't hurt, but I'm not aware that it's required as a general rule.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I worked for a truss shop years ago that was manufacturing trusses for a shopping center rehab. I turned out the village it was in required FTL. The most costly part turned out to be stainless steel gang nail plates need as the fire treatment in the wood at that time would damage galvanized nail plates.

Reply to
tom

Generally, in a single family house, it's not required, no. Which doesn't mean you shouldn't do it, but I think you'd be better off spending the money on non-flamable bedding and couches, and more power outlets.

Reply to
Goedjn