finishing a north-facing garage door II

http://i54.tinypic.com/2w3cjgp.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/jj4bvm.jpg
A couple of questions regarding the above.
q1) Does it make sense to use a stripper to get off all the old product on this surface?
q2) The second photo shows the worst part of the door. (I do have a very poor digital camera. It's a source of constant disappointment.)
What do you call the horizontal structural components of a garage door? What about vertical?
--
Uno

Maybe. Depends on the stripper and whether sanding would be sufficient. And how you intend to finish the door.

The same terminology as on a regular door.
RicodJour wrote:

If you were going to use stripper on a stained--10 years ago-- and weathered garage door made of cedar with a bottom rail that shows mildew, **and** with an outside encasing that weathered much better, i.e. is much more intact than the garage door, what would you use?
Using the gel stain sounds perfect to me for a finish, if possible.
--
Uno

Uno wrote the following:

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:

thx. sometimes I need a little help with nomenclature.
--
Uno

I would surely paint the door, it looks pretty bad to try to restain.

Thanks all for comments. I informed the client that opinions among the motley crue of usenet folk I correspond with varied.
He agreed to my wage as an hourly, which means it's my baby now.
--
Uno