finishing a north-facing garage door II

A couple of questions regarding the above.

q1) Does it make sense to use a stripper to get off all the old product on this surface?

q2) The second photo shows the worst part of the door. (I do have a very poor digital camera. It's a source of constant disappointment.)

What do you call the horizontal structural components of a garage door? What about vertical?

Reply to
Uno

Maybe. Depends on the stripper and whether sanding would be sufficient. And how you intend to finish the door.

The same terminology as on a regular door.

RicodJour

Uno wrote the following:

Rails and stiles.

Reply to
willshak

I would surely paint the door, it looks pretty bad to try to restain.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Thanks all for comments. I informed the client that opinions among the motley crue of usenet folk I correspond with varied.

He agreed to my wage as an hourly, which means it's my baby now.

Reply to
Uno

thx. sometimes I need a little help with nomenclature.

Reply to
Uno

If you were going to use stripper on a stained--10 years ago-- and weathered garage door made of cedar with a bottom rail that shows mildew, **and** with an outside encasing that weathered much better, i.e. is much more intact than the garage door, what would you use?

Using the gel stain sounds perfect to me for a finish, if possible.

Reply to
Uno