FiltersFast

Hi,
Do filters vary in quality? Will I be disappointed if I buy filters for FiltersFast.com? Theirs are much cheaper than Filtrete and they claim that they are more efficient. What's the downside?
Thanks!
Sam

Yeah they do. Some block more air causing your a/c to work harder. Some claim to be hypoallergenic. Personally, I get the cheapest I can find and change it often. I never use pleated because of the cost and my a/c runs more efficiently with a flat filter.

The choice of which filter to use is a trade off between operating cost of the system versus replacement cost of the filters.
A filter which will trap finer particulates will require more energy to run the system since it introduces additional pressure drop in the return duct work, upstream of the blower. A filter which will allow larger particle to pass will eventually allow a build up to plate out on the evaporator coils, which will eventually require an acid cleaning.
The optimal filter selection is question that an unbiased laboratory could determine on the test bench. My guess is that this question has been answered already and can be found in the technical literature, but will take a little effort to root out. Perhaps Consumer Reports magazine has addressed this issue.
JoeG

The choice of which filter to use is a trade off between operating cost of the system versus replacement cost of the filters.
A filter which will trap finer particulates will require more energy to run the system since it introduces additional pressure drop in the return duct work, upstream of the blower. A filter which will allow larger particle to pass will eventually allow a build up to plate out on the evaporator coils, which will eventually require an acid cleaning.
The optimal filter selection is question that an unbiased laboratory could determine on the test bench. My guess is that this question has been answered already and can be found in the technical literature, but will take a little effort to root out. Perhaps Consumer Reports magazine has addressed this issue.
JoeG
== CR Sept 2010 has a review of Filtrete and the MPR 2200 scored 67 out of 100. Not a very in-depth review.

I can only imagine what you evaporator core looks like. Hell, why don't you just use horse hair since it's washable and save some money?

I can only imagine what you evaporator core looks like. Hell, why don't you just use horse hair since it's washable and save some money?
== <heh> You're not real bright are you?

Apparently you're the dim wit if you don't think all kind of shit is being sucked into your EC. .

Apparently you're the dim wit if you don't think all kind of shit is being sucked into your EC. .
=====
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFY8AupDK3w

Some of us are a little handier than others. :-)

What's your point? I don't have to clean mine.

What's your point? I don't have to clean mine.
==== Not only can I clean my own ec, I use the filter recommended by the installer. I'm not saying don't use a filter, I'm saying get a cheaper one and change it more often. You and the OP can do whatever you want. I change my filter every two weeks. I would hardly call that neglect.
If the OP's wife (or whatever) has serious allergy concerns he should do what he thinks is best. For normal maintance what I'm doing is just fine.
BTW: I'm happy for you.
Jim

He recommended a cheap filter so he can make more money when he has to come back and clean the EC.
On 8/11/2010 5:32 PM, Ron wrote:

So what's the word on Off Brand filters, in particular, "FilterFast" filters. Are they any good?