Fill crawl space with foam?

Page 3 of 3

I haven't heard of it, but maybe I should have. What is it, and how is it applied? Do you have a website or something you can refer me to?

spray foam or minimally expanding are usually pro installs, why not call some local insulating contractors for free estimates.
will look for minimial expanding websites.
they use heated guns and such to install, thats why it generally a pro install

Since you said that removing the sub-floor is not out of the question, you could...
- Remove the sub-floor - Crawl underneath and attach 1 x 2's perpendicular to the joists - Lay plywood strips on these supports, forming a "floor' in each cavity - Spray expanding foam insulation in each joist space - the kind you see used on TOH. - Replace sub and finish floor - Save the wooly socks for sledding

Since you said that removing the sub-floor is not out of the question, you could...
- Remove the sub-floor - Crawl underneath and attach 1 x 2's perpendicular to the joists - Lay plywood strips on these supports, forming a "floor' in each cavity - Spray expanding foam insulation in each joist space - the kind you see used on TOH. - Replace sub and finish floor - Save the wooly socks for sledding
Wouldn't I still need a plastic vapor barrier right on top of the soil? It's cheap enough....
On the other hand, this crawl space is bone-dry.

Take a peek here http://www.basementsystems.com/crawlspace /
They even have a book (Amazon.com product link shortened)
It is a more scientific approach than has been done over the years and make some sense.

How about Corbond? Since there's access to this area from the basement, it should be possible to spray the stuff on. Not a DIY job.
www.corbond.com

Pump it in , let it expand, let the floors buckle up 1 ft , Its termite and Carpenter Ant attractive!!! Have fun!!