FEMA travel trailers and the bigger ones.

Page 2 of 3

Tom Horne wrote:

Levee repairs and improvements in New Orleans and nearby have been stalled for years, mainly due to local interests using the courts to prevent the Army Corps of Engineers from doing anything.
Tom Horne wrote:

this is Turtle.
The New Orleans Levee board deverted $2.5 Mil. from the levee funds to build a Mardi Gras Fountain in Jackson Square. they must think putting a fountain in the center of town will hold back the water from the hurrican.
The New Orleans Levee Board received $60 Mil. in the last 5 years to improve the levee. They can't find $30 Mil. of it and the Federal Government is asking for it back. The other $30 mil. went to advisers and fake company that are not in business any more.
There has been no improvements of the levee in the last 5 years and was been given $60 Mil. to do so. Not a penny went to improvement of the levee.
Do a Favor for the Mayor and you get a site on the New Orleans Levee Board at a Salary of $90K a year.
TURTLE

responsibility to those who cannot. I work with a man who had polio as a child.One leg is pactically useless and is in a brace...yet he climbs down in ditches to weld pipe..and climbs ladders..and crawls around in tunnels...and on high steel structures to do his job.It is hard physical and mental work. While some of the "have nots" wont even mop floors, not because they can't...but because they think it is beneath them.I do not owe them ANYTHING.

C Tent. Makes a fine temporary home, much cheaper than a trailer.
--
Free men own guns, slaves don\'t
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Uh, no. If all the ice in the Arctic Ocean melted, the sea level would rise exactly 0.00 feet. Some ice is melting. Glaciers, however, in some parts of the world are growing. It's called climate.

New Orleans is the third largest port (tonnage) in the nation. Virtually all of the midwest grain harvest moves through the port. New Orleans cannot be moved. As for "raising" the city by rail-car loads of dirt, a quick back-of-the-envelope calculation shows that all the coal ever moved from Montanta - by rail, for fifty years - wouldn't even come close.
I'd go back to the designs from the '50s for underwater cities. It'd be cheaper.
<Uh, no. If all the ice in the Arctic Ocean melted, the sea level would rise exactly 0.00 feet. Some ice is melting. Glaciers, however, in some parts of the world are growing. It's called climate. >
Just on 60 minutes a week or so ago. Greenlands ice shelf in full retreat, and global warming is definetely occuring, greenlands ice cap melt will equal a
THREE FOOT ocean level increase
2 things to consider.
See this rather ooor disaster response?
ONE DAY IT MIGHT BE YOU WHO NEEDS HELP!
Wether from natural or man made disaster... terrorism...
The other issue is sea level is rising, the ice caps are melting fast, and can raise sea level several feet in the near future. The feds had already predicted new orleans will be a island surrounded by levees in 100 years. it might be better to move the entire city to higher ground or as another person posted bring in dirt by rail and raise the entire place.
long term people shouldnt be allowed to rebuild in flood plains, short term during a disaster fema trailers should go wherever needed.
In any case we all KNOW government really doesnt care:(
On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 02:12:26 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

You say villlage. That means, I think, a bunch of them together. Would it, do you think, be less of a problem if they were each in different places, like in the front yard of wherever the people using them lived?

That makes it a lot harder to get them hooked up. The utilities were trashed too. Trailers also require tie downs and such If you have another storm, the same people who couldn't evacuate, still couldn't evacuate.
On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 16:31:19 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:
I appreciate that your addressing my post, and in the process showing twfsa that there are construction issues here.

Well if they are going to rebuild that block, they'll have to replace the utilities anyhow.

Tie downs? Such? I don't remember seeing tie downs when I've seen such things. But if they have to be tied down, why not in front of the ruins of their old home.

Again, the trailers won't help them evacuate, but that is not the purpose of trailers. It's to give them some place to live. For people who are going to rebuild, it's to give them someplace to live while they rebuild or at least clean up and do what they can, and keep away looters.
If another storm will ruin the trailers, aiui the trailers are getting ruined in storage. They could have been living in them all this time, and there hasn't been another storm.
<
The New Orleans Levee board deverted $2.5 Mil. from the levee funds to build a Mardi Gras Fountain in Jackson Square. they must think putting a fountain in the center of town will hold back the water from the hurrican.
The New Orleans Levee Board received $60 Mil. in the last 5 years to improve the levee. They can't find $30 Mil. of it and the Federal Government is asking for it back. The other $30 mil. went to advisers and fake company that are not in business any more.
There has been no improvements of the levee in the last 5 years and was
been given $60 Mil. to do so. Not a penny went to improvement of the levee.
Do a Favor for the Mayor and you get a site on the New Orleans Levee Board at a Salary of $90K a year.
TURTLE >
Yeah STUPID WASTE is here too, in pittsburgh they want to build a light rail line under the river, a pure waste of money and completely unneeded.
money should go directly to corpos of engineers, not to build a fountain or other wastes

Federal law requires tiedowns on all trailers in a coastal region ... for decades. Betsy in Loouisana was part of that thought process.
You still do not want trailers or any other new structure 20 feet below sea level. The whole idea that levees will save these people was proven WRONG. Don't even start talking about Amsterdam. It is a totally different situation. The geology is different and they don't have hurricanes. New Orleans is a swamp as is most of south Louisana. If they can't barge in enough dirt to get above sea level those houses should not be rebuilt. How many times are we willing to put these people behind the 8 ball? Bear in mind we are entering an increasing storm cycle and leaving the 30 year lull we had. The next 30 years will be more like the 30s, 40s and 50s, when big storms are frequent. Unfortunately a lot more people are living in the bullseye now.

Are the units on towable trailors? Can I back my truck up to one, hook it up and tow one out of there? If so, when's the auction? I'll take two please.
dirt farmer wrote:

According to the national news reports, FEMA will pay to have them cut up and removed. They are mired in mud and the frames are bent beyond repair.
Folks, pay attention! We as a country are going to be in bad shape if we succeed in moving all emergency services to/under government control. I served as a volunteer fireman in my younger years and I'm appalled to see what now passes as firefighting. In the past year I have seen minor house fires that became total loses while the paperwork and protocol was completed before the first hose was pulled off the truck. $3000 for a residential fire suppression sprinkler system is a damn good investment around here.
-larry / dallas
The travel trailers can be hitched up and towed away, but I don't think there are any of these "available". The slightly larger trailers didn't seem to have wheels, despite the name trailer.

I wasn't intending this to be about politics, only about trailer technology.
But since a couple people complained so much about the whole levee notion, let me remind everyone that although these other places are not below absolute sea level, there are many places that are below flood level and depend on levees.
This includes downtown Dallas, downtown Indianapolis, and probably lots of cities I haven't been to. (I've seen the Dallas and Indy levees with my own eyes. I konw what kind of flloding there was in Indy periodically before the levees were build, and would be again if one failed.)
Also in most places all along the Mississippi, and many places along the, Ohio, Missouri and probably other rivers. Also, Swartzennegger pointed out today on TV that there are loads of levees in California and many were built more than 100 years ago by farmers, and no one knows what they were built with.
Plus Chicago's first floor may be above the level of the lake and the Chicago river, but its basements aren't.
These are only the levees and flooding issues I I know about. I'm sure there are many many more. No one stops people from living in these places that will flood if the levees break.

It's not that people live below sea-level that pisses me off. It's that I'm expected to pay for it.

failing too.

The trailers that were initially supplied by FEMA were actual travel trailers that they bought from dealers and are meant to be towed as a way of life.
The second wave of trailers are trailers that were made to FEMA's specifications. They are not nearly as well made and I think will fall apart if they are moved very far. They were meant to be put in place and provide a home in that one spot until no longer needed. They don't have waste holding tanks and are only meant to be hooked up to city sewage lines or a homeowners septic system.
On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 15:25:32 -0600, Frank Boettcher

Although if one can't hook up the trailer, there is a chance the toilet in the house might work, and if it doesn't, one could get a chemical toilet and use that.
There may have been a lot of places below the flood plain where sewer hookups were impossible, but that's true above the floodplain also.
So far it sounds to me like FEMA should have waived its rule against this second wave of trailers beting set up below the flood plain on people's own plots of land. Instead of letting them rot in storage.
I"M not trying to blame one political party here, just a) bureaucracy, and b) the desire of many people to make rules and enforce them even in atypical situations. There are times when rules should be changed permanently, and situations when they should be waived.
FEMA has made some changes!
http://www.theonion.com/content/node/45595