Faux Stone Backsplash with vinyl tiles?

Page 1 of 2
The link below shows what I'm talking about:
http://video.msn.com/?mkt=en-US&brand=money&vidva43146-029c-411b-a18a-7bd6a0578fcf
Anyone care to comment? Would this look "cheap"? The wall above our kitchen backsplash is a bit uneven, would this vinyl look "ok"?
Any other tips / advice / comments or suggestions?
Howie

I just did that in about 10 apartments and it looks great but I used sheet flooring that looked like stone so no seams to come loose, there are alot of realistic looking stone patterns out there I also continued it above the cabinets and put a 4ft flourescent light on top of the cabinets, its the cheapest way to make it look like thousands more.

so you used linoleum flooring? and flooring adhesive?

I dont think linoluem is made much anymore, it is Linseed oil base. I used sheet vinyl, the squares are sheet cut into squares and floor adheasive. Use squares if you wish just pick the best pattern and color that matches what you are doing, Take home samples first and see how they look.

Linoleum is still being made and installed.
http://www.armstrong.com/resflram/na/linoleum/en/us /
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/article/0,,202857,00.html
The OP was probably just referring to vinyl sheet goods improperly.
Howie says...

Yeah, I would.

And how.
When I bought my house, the kitchen backsplash was vinyl sheet flooring. It was a tile-like pattern, and looked sorta OK from far away. But the problem is - one standing at the counter is fairly close up to the backsplash, vs. looking down at the floor, and the 'fakiness' of it is more apparent. And the cook (e.g. - *me*) got to look at it a lot close up. It's gone now.
There's nothing wrong with good old wall with a semi-gloss or eggshell paint finish to make for cleaning. Neat and simple. I'd leave it that way rather than put plastic all over the wall.
Sorry....
Cheers, Banty

so what made it look "fake"?? the seems between tiles? Poor application?
Howie says...

Well, look at it. As much as they try to closely replicate a tile look and a grout-line look in vinyl, it's not quite the same. Not the same texture to be sure, not quite the same shine or texture, not the right contrast between the shine or semi-shine of the tile vs. the dull or sandy grout. The programmed in 'imperfections' are inevitably too regular and periodic over the distance someone using the kitchen sees.
The installation was OK - the problem is that it's simply not the real thing. When you're close to it, you know it's vinyl. And you're close to it if it's on the wall in front of where you're working.
I note that one person in this thread who said it worked fine had installed in rentals for *other* people to look at. But your question was whether or not it looked cheep. It inevitably does because it's not the real thing.
Banty

Furthermore (again from experience), consider that the only way to change this out would be to install vinyl over it again, or rip out the sheetrock and start all over. Of course that's true for other backsplashes, but it goes against this being an inexpensive temporary solution.
Banty

How about finding a vinyl tile pattern that emulates the pattern of a ceramic tile with the grout lines on the edges? I was thinking that maybe this "ceramic look-a-like" could be put on in a diamond orientation ... just a thought.
Howie says...

Same problems, sorry. The backsplash I had *was* one with a pattern that emulated tile with the grout lines, etc. There's just a limit as to how well that can be done in a plastic.
Now, if it's your house, and it's good enough for you, fine. It's not that it's *impractical*. But it's always going to be nothing other than tile-look vinyl flooring up on the wall.
Banty

Why not just put up the same wallpaper you're using on the rest of the kitchen?

I don't know, I guess I think that a kitchen counter isn't finished until there is a backsplash installed (up the wall)...

1. I found this link: http://www.moredecordiy.blogspot.com /
- a pretty neat idea...
2. and this one: http://boards.hgtv.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4774011632/m/7541010413
- more discussion on this idea...
comments?

Everybody says no but nobody has seen it, what a joke.

Ransley,
So have you seen it? If not, what do you think of the idea?
Howie says...

Well, Howie - since you seem to have your heart set on it, do it! It's your house, no?
Banty

In my kitchen, the "backsplash" is the 8" of countertop material installed vertically at the back of the counters against walls. The wallpaper is installed above that. That said, we don't have any upper cabinets except over the fridge, so it would look extremely odd to have anything other than wallpaper. I don't understand layouts that allow for upper cabinets. Don't they block all the windows and doors?
On Jan 7, 11:01am, <h> wrote:

Not everyone has the luxury of laying out their kitchen that way. If I didn't have upper cabinets, I'd have no place to put my dishes, glasses, or spices. It's a small room and I need every square inch of storage that I can get.
Cindy Hamilton

Which is one way to finish off nicely, and just have wall above it. Although Howie probably has countertop already installed without it...

You must not be in the US - here it's rare not to have upper cabinets. The kitchen is laid out so that there is sufficient wall space for the upper cabinets. Windows and doors fit in between where necessary (like over the sink.) Indeed in the '70s and '80s upper cabinets might be installed between the kitchen and a dining or family room. Nowdays a lot of those are being taken down, though, for a more open feel.
Banty