Fail-safe for keyless entry

Page 4 of 4

Robert Green wrote:

Some cut.
Check with the whiz kids at alt.engineering.electrical Someone there might have an idea.
Robert Green wrote:

I don't know if anyone mentioned this but I just thought there might be a way to make a swing cover for the remote much like what I've seen for a small pocket magnifying loupe. I think something like that would be the perfect thing to protect the buttons on a key fob remote.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Loupe-triplet-30x-0a.jpg
TDD
"Robert Green" wrote:

Robert, this is a fairly common problem. Can you reprogram the receiver? If so, set it so that it will only trip upon two successive signals within say a 2- or 3-second interval.
If reprogramming the receiver isn't an option, consider replacing it with something that does. These systems are inexpensive to build from scratch and may prove to be an entertaining project.
I can help you select parts if you like though technically I've retired from my online business.
Regards, Robert

How about putting an O-ring under each button? Increase the pressure necessary to activate the circuit.
It's an old-school trick learned back in the days of the Reset key being on the Apple ][ keyboard. Putting a stiffer spring or an O-ring under the key made it more difficult to press it accidentally (easy given it's proximity to the backspace key).
Conversely my wife's cell phone has buttons on the outside lid (an LG VX8350) for multimedia "features". The keypad underneath had little stubs to press the switches. I snipped off a majority of the stubs and made the buttons much harder to operate. Stupid feature that got on her nerves anyway.
As far as cops and calls for handicapped parking, take it up with your local representatives. That and the local TV stations and paper. They're always looking for community issue material.
-Bill Kearney