exterior stucco

HI -- we have recently bought a 70's stucco house (what's it called with the embedded sharp bits of rock or quartz). I'm wondering if it's possible to plaster over it (perhaps with lightweight concrete made with vermiculite/perlite, to keep the weight down and a bit of insulation), to end up with a plain adobe-looking stucco finish. The stucco seems to be in excellent repair, though you can easily dislodge some of the rock chips. Any ideas if new stuff would stick OK simply with a clean surface? Thanks, Cathy
I would not expect much if any insulation value from your new surface. The adhesive and bonding characteristics of Dryvit type coatings are tremendous. I assume you want a different surface which would require a base coat and a finish coat. An actual stucco contractor may offer other or better choices. Adding a foam insulation course under the EIFS will add cost and depth to the installation.
--
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG wrote:

------------------------------------- Thanks for your answer -- I live in the Pacific Northwest, VERY humid and I would stay away from any acrylic coating. Adding insulation is secondary to coating over the nasty rock chips to make it a smooth surface. I've read of cement-based stucco paint -- could it be put on thickly enough that it would cover the rocks (say 1/4 to 1/2 inch) and would it stick?
Cathy, I would not expect any paint type product to cover the stones. Contact a local plaster/EIFS contractor for his input.
--
Keep the whole world singing . . . .