Extension cord taped to metal fence

a neighbor of mine, has a shed that is powered by a extension cord (about

50')taped along the top of a 3' metal fence. I told him that it was not legal, he asked me how to correct it and I told to run uf-b wire under ground next to the fence. He asked me if he could put plugs on the end of the uf-b. I told him I did not know ? does any one know if the current way is legal? ,and if not what is the easiest way to fix?
Reply to
kvs

Why not do it correctly???

Reply to
hrhofmann

posted (you mean, invading?) from

HomeOwnersHub's Web, RSS and Social Media Interface

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Why not do it correctly???

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

What is it with this web-site? They post stuff here and take posts from here and place them on their site.

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

Extension cords are not permitted as a substitute for permanent wiring. If he was powering some Xmas lights on the shed, it would be OK. If he's using it to power lights and/or receptacles that are permanently mounted in the shed, then it's not code compliant.

The fact that he has to ask that question shows that he's in way over his head. I suggest calling an electrician.

 does any one know if the current way is legal? ,and
Reply to
trader4

Dave M.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Everything that follows should be considered as generic advice. All local codes and regulations should be adhered to.

You can not just put a plug on the end of the wire, but that is not the only thing that needs to be considered.

You need to come out of the main house using the proper method and you need to come into the shed in the proper manner (junction boxes, romex connectors, perhaps a sleeve through the block, etc.)

You need a disconnect inside the shed that kills power to the entire shed. For a simple 115V setup, a properly rated light switch should be OK, but it should be as close to the incoming power as possible. I'm not sure if you are allowed to use a GFCI receptacle and it's test button as the disconnect. That would be something to look into as it addresses the "plug on the end of the wire" issue.

You need to be concerned with the depth that you bury the wire depending on whether it's inside conduit or not.

Any receptacles need to be GFCI protected. You can make it even safer by protecting the entire shed with a GFCI breaker or feeding the shed from the load side of a GFCI receptacle. I feed my shed from a GFCI receptacle mounted on the underside of my raised deck. I know it works because I had a light fixture on the outside of my shed that took on water and popped the GFCI. The disconnect switch inside the shed allowed me to kill the power inside the shed and then reset the GFCI as a troubleshooting method. Since the GFCI held, I knew my underground wiring was good and that the problem was related to the wiring after it entered the shed.

There are lots of codes to follow to make this installation safe and legal. If your neighbor isn't sure about how to go about, then he should contact an expert, either an electrician or the municipality that enforces the code.

If he thought that an extension cord tape to a metal fence was OK, then he has a lot to learn. He should also unplugged the extension cord immediately before something goes terribly wrong.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Like adding quote fix to OE so that you don't top post and keep the attributes right? PKB

Reply to
ChairMan

I have never seen an electric powered shed. What will the think of next?

As far as I know, extension cords are legal in all 50 states...

Reply to
Larry W

Extension cords are legal in all 50 states for the use for which they are intended. And that use doesn't include running permanent power to a shed.

on Churchill)

Reply to
trader4

There is nothing more permanent than temporary.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Chicago has registration, E.C.O.I.D. card, and stiff penalties for use in a crime. Unless you're a high ranking democrat, and then you can carry concealed high capacity 12 gage extension cord with multiple outlets, and long length. You can also carry concealed short 12 gage cords with no internal safeties or GFCI.

As far as I know, extension cords are legal in all 50 states...

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

on Churchill)

I'm not sure I understand the problem. The extension cord is attached to a metal fence, so the fence should be grounded. As long as the tape being used is black electrical tape, then it should be good to go. This is the same logic used in Washington DC. Black is being used and nobody is grounded...LOL

Reply to
Robin Ellzey

As I often say after a quick fix "it's only temporary...unless it works."

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I was at a home depot when a customer said he wanted to run a orange

16 gauge extension cord down the center of his driveway in the expansion crack......

The salesperson was befudled by the question so I pointed out that not only are extension cords not designed for permanent use but when the driveway moves the insulation could be damaged walking down the driveway could result in electrocution. The fellow had 2 kids and persumably his wife in tow.

she was ripping him new body orfices as I walked away:( you could kill me or the kids. he was going to use the power for a above ground pool

Reply to
bob haller

The UV rays in sunlight dry and crack plastics. Electrical tape dries rapidly, in sunlight. The situation is just asking for exposed, charged wire poking through the insullation.

I'm not sure I understand the problem. The extension cord is attached to a metal fence, so the fence should be grounded. As long as the tape being used is black electrical tape, then it should be good to go. This is the same logic used in Washington DC. Black is being used and nobody is grounded...LOL

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

In addition to the above, just because it's a metal fence doesn't necessarily mean it's well grounded. In addition to exactly how it's planted in the ground, who knows how the fence is assembled? For example the piece of metal the cord is sitting on may not be well connected to the part of the fence in the ground, they could use some plastic component to make the connection, etc.

On a more basic level it's clearly not code compliant.

Reply to
trader4

Go ahead, tape your extension cord along your metal fence.

The plaintiff's attorney is going to love you...and his new yacht!

Reply to
Harvey Specter

And 'being grounded" does not mean a better ground won't be found if you touch it.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K